Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Rds

Visiting Guest

02-10-02, 12:19 PM   #1  
snoop
Rds

I am wondering if there is anyone that knows in detail, the new RDS (radio data systems) factory radios for GM. I have a 2001 Chevy Malibu. I unplugged the radio to install an after market stereo. When I did this, the computer shut down the fuel pump, as a theft deterent system. I plugged the factory stereo back in, but it says "CAL ERR" (calibration error) Without the factory stereo working properly, I can not reset the computer. Does anyone know how to fix the radio? (reset)?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-10-02, 07:06 PM   #2  
mooser1
I know you don't want to hear this, but I'm almost positive the module will have to be re-programmed by the dealer....a quick call to them can verify this.....I know that just trying to add foglights to a 2001 Silverado, the program has to be dealer set with their tools for a "factory" installation......

Visiting Guest

02-10-02, 07:11 PM   #3  
Joe_F
I believe it could be done with a scan tool from Autozone which you can rent for free. Try that.

Curious: Why would you upgrade the stereo in a brand new Malibu?

Visiting Guest

02-10-02, 07:41 PM   #4  
mooser1
I was curious about that myself Joe.....the factory sound systems in these new ones are mighty fine......

Visiting Guest

02-10-02, 10:05 PM   #5  
snoop
Thanks for the replies guys! The reason I am upgrading my stereo is because I want a CD player and I am hooking up a sub woofer (for premium sound, not to be heard from 2 miles away.) I will check out autozone and get back to you. Thanks again!

Visiting Guest

02-11-02, 05:46 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Can probably do all that with the factory radio.

Try www.crutchfield.com for stuff for it.

Again, why spend all that green on a stereo in a Malibu? My .02

Visiting Guest

02-14-02, 12:20 AM   #7  
snoop
Hey guys,

The main reason I am upgrading my stereo is because I already had everything I needed from my last car ('96 Chevy Corsica). I bought a scan tool (one of the few things they don't rent out from Autozone) and had no luck. The type of scan tool it was, was a OBD II. Maybe it is not the right type of tool for my car. When I plugged it in and hit the "read" button it came back flashing all 8s' (8888) In the manual, it says that this could mean it is not the right scanner for my car. There were like 6 or 7 male pins from the tester, and the plug in terminal from my car only had 4 female pins. One of which is ground and the other power. That leaves only two pins for pulling codes or whatever. I don't know. I am pretty sure this will be towed to the dealer to get reset. Of course they are going to try to make this a non-warranty issue, even though it does not have any type of warning against unplugging the factory stereo in the owners manual. You would think if this was going to be a big issue, it would have been printed somewhere. I even called 2 Chevy dealer service departments, one of which was a car stereo installer, and no one would or could tell me EXACTLY what systems I would lose, or what problems would be caused by pulling the radio. If no one has any more ideas', Than I will be having it towed tomorrow. Thanks for all your input!

Visiting Guest

02-14-02, 03:57 AM   #8  
Joe_F
Call corporate Autozone about that. I"m sure that folks here have reported that they got an OBDII scanner from there.

Maybe THAT store doesn't have one. Give it a whirl.

Visiting Guest

02-14-02, 08:46 AM   #9  
snoop
Unfortunately, I believe that there are no Autozones that rent the scan tool out. At autozone.com, a scan tool is not on their list of whats available to rent.

Visiting Guest

02-14-02, 09:15 AM   #10  
Joe_F
As I said, I believe that someone here said they DID get one from them.

Give their offices a call and see what they tell you.

Visiting Guest

02-18-02, 03:02 PM   #11  
snoop
I am wondering if anyone has access to OBD II scan tool code meanings. Took my car to the dealership and they are putting my problem off to my after market car starter/security system (wiring). The whole problem started at the radio, when I unplugged it and plugged in an aftermarket stereo, so I think the problem is there, not the starter system. (I could be wrong) Anyway, When I bought my OBD II scan tool (took it back) it wouldn't work/communicate with the car. The dealership has the same problem, but WAS able to pull these codes:

P1626
U1064
B2958
B2960
B2965
U1000
U1016
U1040
U1088
U1128
U2001
U2003
U2004
U2006
If anyone could please get info on what these codes are for, I would really appreciate it!!

Visiting Guest

02-18-02, 03:44 PM   #12  
mooser1
OK, you asked for it, here we go:

P1626-Theft Deterrent System Fuel Enable Circuit
U1064-Loss of communication with BCM
B2958-Data Open short to battery
B2960-Invalid Coded Key is present
B2965-Key In ingnition fault
U1000-No State of Health from module
U1016-Loss of PCM communication
U1040-Loss of EBCM/EBTCM communications
U1088-Loss of SIR/SDM
U1128-Loss of IRC communication
U2001-Invalid IPC transmitted SPI data
U2003-SPI DATA-IN high
U2004-SPI DATA-OUT low
U2006-SPI Clock out low

bet that factory Delco sound system would be sounding real good about now......I feel your pain...

Visiting Guest

02-18-02, 04:01 PM   #13  
mooser1
from the look of these codes and from what you've described, I would say that when you unplugged the factory stereo you set in motion the factory installed anti-theft system, which disables the car from starting if the radio is popped out, or if someone tries to hot-wire it, etc.

with a stereo plugged back in, the dealer should be able to re-set the factory anti-theft module with no problem...what effect your aftermarket theft system is having is a good guess.....the dealer is undoubtedly wanting to charge you for re-setting the factory module, rather than doing it under warranty, because you altered the original system...

rules is rules...

we've all seen the stickers "Altering of the system will void warranty"

Visiting Guest

02-18-02, 04:25 PM   #14  
Joe_F
Eeegads .

A whole lotta trouble comes from doing this. Geez, would have been better off with a disc man or some sort of changer to add a CD player using the original radio.

At this point, I would return the system to factory settings and see if you can make do with the original radio or a factory upgrade.

Not sure where you got your radio and parts, but your Malibu doesn't like it.

And to think I went through the pains to find, fix and install the original digital red-lit 8 track (that's right..lol) for my 79 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am. Lol.

Visiting Guest

02-18-02, 04:33 PM   #15  
mooser1
the old addage about "it isn't nice to fool with Mother Nature" comes to mind, mother nature in this case being a cranky automobile...lol......

Visiting Guest

02-18-02, 10:19 PM   #16  
snoop
Thanks much guys. I am pretty screwed. I figure if the dealer got to communicate with the computer, (only once) I would just go back to autozone, pick up another OBD II and try to "reset" the codes over and over and maybe I will get some kind of luck out of that. (cheapest immediate idea)
I don't really understand... If I shorted out something, what is there to fix, or how would I go about repairing something that is shorted? (not to say I will be repairing it, just curious) I really do appreciate you listing those codes for me mooser! Could I really be the only one to have tryed somthing like this? The RDS radios have been in all GM (or just Chevy) vehicles for two or 3years.

'

Visiting Guest

02-18-02, 11:25 PM   #17  
mooser1
don't bother going to get the scan tool back, it won't fix the problem...all an OBDII tool like you bought (have one myself) is capable of is erasing a stored code, it will not reset the control module for your anti-theft system...from what I have read this has to be done by a dealer with the proper tool for re-programming the module, a very expensive item...

I don't think you "shorted anything out", you just set off the alarm system which disables the vehicle to prevent theft...once this system is restored, you'll be back in action...

Visiting Guest

02-20-02, 10:43 PM   #18  
snoop
And after all the B.S., it turns out that there was a bad fuse connection in the fuse box, that threw off the cars systems. I am really glad it is fixed! Stereo equipment is in, and all is well. Thanks again to mooser, and Joe for the replies!

Visiting Guest

02-20-02, 10:50 PM   #19  
mooser1
hey, congrats.....

Search this Thread