Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Bad bearing damaged the rotor??

Visiting Guest

02-11-02, 10:01 AM   #1  
bledsoe
Bad bearing damaged the rotor??

Here's the deal, my friend has a '99 Jeep Cherokee with 37K miles. I guess he brought it in under warranty complaining about a sound which turned out to be a bad wheel bearing in the front right wheel. They replaced it then pointed out that he should get new brakes soon and that he would need new rotors as well. He pointed out that the rotor in front of the bad bearing had a big groove in it and it would need to be replaced. His brake pads are still fine. I don't see how a rotor could be damaged on a vehicle with just 37K miles. Since the pads are fine, could the bad bearing have damaged the rotor? I'm thinking the warranty should cover this. What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-11-02, 10:13 AM   #2  
Joe_F
I would think in 37k miles, he needed pads at least once in the front. Someone may have slapped in pads and not changed the rotors, however, the pads were worn to the metal and dug a groove in the rotor.

Replace both rotors and pads and should be good to go. You can probably handle it yourself if the dealer wants a fortune to do it. Get good quality parts, either OE or good North American made replacements.

Visiting Guest

02-11-02, 10:17 AM   #3  
bledsoe
His pads are still fine though. That's why I was wondering if the bearing damaged the rotor. What do you think about that?

Visiting Guest

02-11-02, 10:51 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Possible, but not likely....

Visiting Guest

02-12-02, 10:19 AM   #5  
xiii13
I think Joe is right. Somebody put on a new set of pads and didn't turn the rotors. Just my .02

Visiting Guest

02-12-02, 10:25 AM   #6  
bledsoe
Ok, thanks for the tips guys. I'll have to talk to this guy and get the real deal from him. He said he didn't think the pads were ever changed and I believed him because I have 65K miles on my Audi with original pads. Do SUV's really go through pads that much quicker than cars?

Visiting Guest

02-12-02, 10:34 AM   #7  
Joe_F
Depends on the driver and the driving mostly, but yes, some trucks do eat pads faster than others.

My Saturn wore them out in 25k miles. Because........they were mostly used in local driving which means you use the brakes more

Visiting Guest

02-12-02, 10:55 AM   #8  
bledsoe
Hey Joe, that autolibrary.org is fantastic! I blew several hours there yesterday and today... whatever makes work go by quicker...

Visiting Guest

02-12-02, 12:27 PM   #9  
Joe_F
Thank Knuckles for that one, his doing .

If Smokey were in this forum, he would call Knuckles his hero

However, that's reserved for Big Mike, another co-moderator. . Lol

Visiting Guest

02-25-02, 08:34 AM   #10  
bledsoe
the verdict!

It turns out he did have his original pads in there and they actually had another 5K miles or so left to go. We replaced them, turned the rotors(they were rusted and warped) and now it brakes like new again!

Visiting Guest

02-25-02, 10:03 AM   #11  
Joe_F
Knew something wasn't right with it .

Good job in fixing it. 37k out of front pads is pretty good.

Visiting Guest

02-25-02, 12:32 PM   #12  
bledsoe
Funny story about this one. I showed my friend how to do everything, so he was helping me. As we were finishing up, he was tightening the final mounting bolt into the caliper, and he went to give it one final turn and then you hear "snap"! He broke the bolt. It was stuck inside the hub and caliper. We had to damage the caliper to get that bolt out. (the piston cracked)That sucked! We managed to puchase a rebuilt caliper for just $26... He's lucky! i couldn't help but laugh at him....

Search this Thread