Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Check engine 2000 Hyundai

Visiting Guest

02-12-02, 11:29 AM   #1  
Antony W. Serio
Check engine 2000 Hyundai

I have a 2000 Hyundai Elantra with 72K miles on her. The check engine light has been on for about the past 20k miles. I have taken her to the dealer nearly a dozen times under warranty to get this fixed. So far, they have replaced half a dozen sensors and emissions components (most of which I have never heard of) and reluctantly replaced the computer, all under warranty. I've been told that the code that shows is a 'general emissions' fault, and that I am runing in closed loop (which I believe means that the fuel injection is using all of it's sensors). Now, they tell me that they are "waiting for a the latest prom for the computer to come in from Korea". My car is still drivable, and the local dealer keeps telling me not to worry about the light, and that they will call me when they get the prom in. Does this sound legitimate, or are they just giving me the brush off, waiting for the last of my warranty to turn to dust?

I have checked Alldata, and haven't found a TSB relating to my problem. I am seriously thinking about taking the car to another dealer to have their mechanics look at it. I have documentation of all of my warranty work at the local dealer, all of which say that the problem was not fixed. The only problem is that the mechanics at the other dealer have forced a $300.00 'tune up' down my throat in the past (plugs, wires, and a 'professional fuel injection cleaning'), threatening to tear up my warranty if I didn't agree to it.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-12-02, 12:01 PM   #2  
mooser1
you don't mention whether or not anyone has reset the light (erased the codes) using a scan tool....

Visiting Guest

02-12-02, 12:18 PM   #3  
Joe_F
I agree with Mooser.

A PROM update means that there are electronic updates to the software the computer uses to read the sensors. Think of it like a memory upgrade.

A guy I work with had to update his computer on his 1996 Explorer and the scan tool had the software. He was telling me about it, and it's like wiping out a hard drive and reformatting it.

In his case, an O2 sensor threshhold was too tight, meaning the light would go on at any given time. Meanwhile, the truck was running fine and passing emissions great. The update fixed the problem.

I believe this is the case here. You should get it taken care of for free and the dealer will likely do it once the PROM arrives. Keep on them for it and make sure they do it.

If you still have trouble, call Hyundai's headquarters and they should be able to help. They need all the consumers they can get on their side due to their last round of cars which essentially made them pull out of the market due to poor quality

Visiting Guest

02-12-02, 01:14 PM   #4  
Antony W. Serio
To answer Mooser's question, the dealer erased the codes each time I was in their shop, but in every single case, it came back within five minutes. I hope they get the prom in soon, since I have an inspection coming up. A check engine light will flunk me, from what I understand.

Visiting Guest

02-12-02, 01:57 PM   #5  
mooser1
I've done a little research and just thought I'd pass it along because you said the dealer says your computer is running in a "closed loop" mode, he made it sound as if this was a problem....not the case, the computer runs in "open loop" when first started until it reaches operating temperature, much like a carb with a choke.....once warmed up it switches to "closed loop" and allows the 02 sensors to come into play to adjust the fuel/air mixture.....bottom line, closed loop is what it should be running in once warm, if he's telling you this is a problem with the engine, he's jerking your leg....or something....

Visiting Guest

02-12-02, 03:21 PM   #6  
Antony W. Serio
I know what closed loop means (I used to have the Haynes fuel injection manual memorized- I had to to keep my 88 pontiac 6000 on the road- the poor girl had an average of one breakdown a month). The dealer was telling me not to worry because it was in closed loop. I was just wondering if he was telling the truth and if I could tell without buying/renting an OBD II code scanner to check. Since the light has been on for so long, I could have another problem without even knowing about it. This is the last new car I am ever going to buy. What ever happened to straightening out a paperclip to scan the codes ?

Visiting Guest

02-12-02, 04:10 PM   #7  
mooser1
I was just curious as to what he had been telling you.....my Chevy truck doesn't use a code for "general emissions".....must be dealer talk for "man, I hope this Prom does the trick".....

Visiting Guest

02-12-02, 04:30 PM   #8  
Antony W. Serio
I wasn't given a specific code. I was told that the scanner pointed to a non-specific emissions problem and reccomended that half a dozen sensors/valves/circuits be tested/replaced. All of the above was done, and I still have the idiot light. Go figure.

Visiting Guest

02-12-02, 09:10 PM   #9  
Joe_F
Ask the dealer what specific code # is found.

Go to the autolibrary link in my signature file and see how they compare.

Visiting Guest

02-21-02, 04:21 AM   #10  
Antony W. Serio
As it turned out, it was the wiring harness for the fuel tank sensors that was causing the problem. When I first brought the dealer the car six months ago, I was told that they couldn't give me a loaner while the problem was being worked on. They worked on my car piecemeal, an hour at a time, since I live out in the county and couldn't afford to be without transportation for a while. The dealer finally broke down and gave me a loaner so I could leave my car with their 'techs for a few days.

Visiting Guest

02-21-02, 05:49 AM   #11  
Joe_F
Thanks for the update. Glad you got it going again.

Search this Thread