Horse trailer wiring hook up

Old 02-12-02, 06:50 PM
Tackmaster
Visiting Guest
Horse trailer wiring hook up

My horse trailer has 6 wires,,,blue, yellow, red, white, brown, green...the red and green wires are put together in 1 hole with the other 4 wires each in 1 hole of a 5 prong hook-up. The receptacle in my truck has a 5 prong hook-up also but has no blue wire with only a red, yellow, green, white and brown wire for each hole...what is the purpose of the blue wire and/or how can I fix this problem so my trailer lights will work when plugged into the truck?????????

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-02, 07:39 PM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
standard trailer wiring codes are as follows:

yellow=left turn and stop
green=right turn and stop
brown=tail lights, marker lights
white=ground
black is sometimes substituted for the white ground by certain manufacturers....

the extra wires on your trailer plug, blue and red, are most likely for trailer brakes, if you don't have a trailer brake controller on your vehicle, disregard them, tape them up out of your way where they can't ground out against any metal......

from what you describe I would guess that someone is using the green wire as the ground instead of white...they have the red wire hooked up with it as a ground for the trailer brakes...the blue wire would then be the power for the trailer brakes....

if you take both plugs apart and re-wire them with the color codes above, you will be able to tow any trailer that was wired properly whether by an individual or a factory.....I spent 3 years building custom boat trailers back in the old days, the color code is firmly imprinted in my mind....

Old 02-12-02, 08:56 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Skip all that hokey wiring.

Get the "Litemate" simple plug in styles from Hoppy.

They are OE in most cases and have the factory style connectors for popular vehicles. They also have the mating sides for the trailers.

In some, if not most cases, no splicing is needed as it plugs into the factory harness and leaves it intact.

Any parts store should stock or be able to order it.

Old 02-13-02, 03:10 PM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
you're right Joe, in that the "t's" available from Hoppe's, Draw-Tite and others simplify the vehicle part of the job, but the female plug on your vehicle and the male plug on your trailer still have to be wired up....my previous post listed the industry standard color code for light hook-ups, this link will take you to a web page with a great, simple diagram of what I've said.....

http://www.skiboathelp.com/tech/t_wiring.html

Happy Trailering......

Old 02-13-02, 04:36 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Always consult the equipment company to be sure ! Not all are "industry standard" (or not all have been DONE by people that way, I should say ).

As I recall, most trailers have a four wire flat on them and the LiteMate system comes with both ends. Not much wiring there. Might already be wired on the trailer side.

Old 02-14-02, 08:16 PM
wyres
Visiting Guest
Ignore the brakes?!?!?!?!?

If your trailer is equiped with brakes, chances are, you need them!

If the trailer has brakes, and the truck does not have a brake controller, get one! The life you save could be mine!

Omitting connecting the trailer brakes will result in the trailer jack knifeing if you have to brake hard.

If anyone is considering purchasing a large trailer of any type, try to get hydraulic brakes. Much better.

Old 02-15-02, 07:14 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree. Good point.

Old 02-15-02, 09:17 AM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
good points all around.....since his original post concerning the lights, Tackmaster has communicated directly with me and is resolving the brake controller issue.....just an update.....

Old 02-15-02, 09:34 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Good deal.

Old 02-15-02, 09:41 PM
jz brake
Visiting Guest
Talking trailer ligjts

i agree with every one, but i agree with mooser1 the most. if you are driving 55 to 60 mph and not hauling a real heavy load i mean a heavy load, and keeping your distance, forget the brakes. you are going to jack knife any way if you are travling to fast or on ice or wet roads, i know i use to drive a truck. since he already has the plugs it is cheaper to rewire. using 14 gauge wire and a heavy duty flasher if it doen't have one.