Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Pinging Ford

Visiting Guest

02-13-02, 10:48 AM   #1  
tryin2sav
Pinging Ford

I have a 1990 Ford F250 that has started to ping when accelerating. I replaced the air and fuel filters and tested the EGR valve, (Per Joe Cool) which tested ok. The 5.8 engine is a rebuild with only 3500 miles on it, but I pulled a couple plugs anyway to check for carbon. No carbon build up. How critical are spark plugs and the gap when it comes to pinging? My manual says the gap should be .44, but the gaps are set at .40. Will this make the spark too hot? Also, I overfilled the oil by about 1/4 quart the last time I changed it, can this cause a problem?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-13-02, 10:56 AM   #2  
Joe_F
How do you know the valve is good? Was it coked with carbon?

How's the timing? What grade of fuel are you using?

Please use your reply button to keep all information together about the same post/subject/vehicle.

Visiting Guest

02-13-02, 11:14 AM   #3  
tryin2sav
I didn't check the valve, only the condition of the spark plug. The timing is right at 10 BTDC, which is correct for this engine. Can timing be retarded on an electronic control system like this? I'm still using Chevron 87 octane fuel. I am going to try a higher octane fuel to see if it makes any difference.

Visiting Guest

02-13-02, 12:06 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Yup, might need a higher octane fuel. Also try a different brand.

If you didn't test the valve, you won't know it's bad . If it's original, it's probably coked up by now.

Visiting Guest

02-13-02, 12:43 PM   #5  
tryin2sav
Man was I off track when I answered you about how I tested the valve. I did test it according to a Mitchell manual. I didn't take it out and actually physically inspect it for carbon. I tested it by slowly pulling the vacuum down to until it started to stall, which was at 9-10. I'm just going to go ahead and replace it since it is the original and has 140K miles on it.

Thanks for your help.

Visiting Guest

02-13-02, 01:41 PM   #6  
Joe_F
Ok, let us know what you find.

Visiting Guest

02-13-02, 02:01 PM   #7  
mooser1
you should re-gap your plugs to the recommended .044, a couple of thousandth's can make a difference, especially throughout the throttle range......

my .02

Visiting Guest

02-18-02, 04:15 PM   #8  
tryin2sav
OK - I switched to a high octane fuel and this solved my accelerating pinging problem. My question - Is this just masking the real problem? I hate to think that I have to pay .30/gal more the rest of the time I own this pickup. Should I still pursue changing the EGR valve? A mechanic I have gone to a few times thinks it has to do with dirty injectors. Does this make sense to anyone? I don't have any other accelerating problems. He wants to do a $500 injector service!

Visiting Guest

02-18-02, 04:20 PM   #9  
Joe_F
Might need to use the higher end fuel from now on. If that solves your problem leave the 500 dollar injector service at the door. Not needed.

Such are the pains of owning a V8. Just use a good quality midrange fuel. I use 87 grade Amoco or Sunoco in my Oldsmobile. Try using good quality regular fuel. If that doesn't help, step up to the lowest and cheapest grade that solves the pinging.

02-18-02, 04:36 PM   #10  
From reading your post i seen the engine was just rebuilt.Was the pinging there before? If not, i'd recheck the timing .I noticed you said the timing is right on at 10 degrees but is that with the spout pulled?Just thought i'd ask to make sure.Also alot of times you'll get oxygen sensor codes (showing lean).

Visiting Guest

02-18-02, 05:12 PM   #11  
mooser1
you might try retarding the timing 2 degrees to 8 BTDC and try running the lower grade gas, I don't blame you for being concerned with the per gallon price of premium....

Search this Thread