brake master cylinder need replacing?

Old 02-14-02, 08:03 AM
dgh76
Visiting Guest
brake master cylinder need replacing?

I think I know where my problem is, but hope you won't mind my asking to be sure. Have a 1986 Ford F150 pickup. The brakes were replaced (pads and shoes, anyway) about two years ago, inspected about 8 months ago, and have been working fine. Driving to work this morning I first noted that the brake pedal moved further to the floor before the brakes began to apply. The next time I needed to stop, the brake pedal initially felt about right and the brakes began to apply, but then the pedal moved quickly to the floor. Pumping the pedal allowed me to get stopped when I needed to, but that is quite a sensation to have the pedal fall out from under your feet! I checked the level of brake fluid when I arrived at work and both wells were still full. Haven't noted any leaks, but haven't been able yet to look carefully at the lines. Does this sound like a master cylinder that needs replacement? The only other time I had a master cylinder go bad, the brake pedal became mushy rather gradually rather than suddenly as in this case.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-02, 09:16 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sounds like a master or really out of adjustment rear brakes (or worn ones)

Search this Thread