Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

ABS brake woes????

Visiting Guest

02-15-02, 09:56 AM   #1  
mooser1
ABS brake woes????

OK Joe, here's one to think about.....

brother owns a 98 Silverado Z71 4wd, 50K, 5.7 Vortec. From what he describes to me, ABS system has come on at very low speed, dry pavement, normal driving. Only done it twice in a month, but he feels slight pulsing of brake pedal, can hear a "buzz" from somewhere, I presume from under the hood. We scanned for codes, none present, so it isn't radical enough to store a code.

couple of resposes from chevytalk users say it is a normal diagnostic respose from the system and their vehicles do it on occasion.....I have ABS on all three vehicles I own, including 1990 Chevy truck I've owned since new, have never had this happen......am I just lucky or am I right in not completely buying the "diagnostic" theory? It would seem to me that GM would have designed, engineered and tested these systems to work under conditions where they are actually needed, not arbitrarily....

no TSB's for this condition for his 98 in alldata.....just wondering if any DIY forum members have had this experience and what other causes could be underlying?

thanks for any help....

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-15-02, 12:39 PM   #2  
Joe_F
It could be sensing wheel slip or loss of traction and doing that.

Most times, the first time the vehicle starts, it will cycle through a self test to see if all is well. Might be doing that. How many times does it do it in a single trip when it does do it?

Visiting Guest

02-15-02, 01:02 PM   #3  
mooser1
it has only done it twice so far, two different trips, two seperate occasions, both times slowing from normal driving speeds while coming up on a stop light.....dry and clear pavement, no wheel slippage involved.....neither occasion was on startup, but rather after having been driven for 30 minutes or so.....

Visiting Guest

02-15-02, 01:08 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Scanning for codes may not be enough. Try some of the diagnostic checks and tests through the scanner to see how the various portions of the system function.

That should lead you to the problem.

Search this Thread