Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Power Drain

Visiting Guest

02-17-02, 01:11 AM   #1  
JPLeech
Power Drain

I am having problems with my voltage, I think there is a power drain in either the illumination circuit or the turn signal circuit. It now takes two starts for it to turn over. I thought it was first the battery and had it tested, and I was told it was the alternator. I replaced the alternator and it shows that it is still running at between 10 and 12 volts. Also the meter bounces and alternates with my turn signal. I would think it nearly impossible to find. I also recently installed driving lights but I think this was happening before they were installed. It is a 1995 GMC Jimmy and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-17-02, 07:51 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Likely still a defective alternator if it's running that kind of voltage. Also check for poor battery connections.

It should be putting out 14.2 volts at idle with no load on the battery 13.5 or greater with all the accessories on.

However, if you are saying it takes two CRANKS to start the vehicle now, that has nothing to do with the charging system.

Search this Thread