Ford Trans

Old 02-17-02, 07:26 AM
Thunderchicken
Visiting Guest
Ford Trans

I found the linkage from the transmission to throttle body disconnected. I replaced clip and reconnected linkage to throttle body, but it still does not go into overdrive. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-02, 07:45 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Type of vehicle? Type of transmission? What does your service manual say (check the links below if you don't have one).

Sounds like the linkage is off.

Old 02-17-02, 07:57 AM
Thunderchicken
Visiting Guest
Ford Trans again

The car is a 1992 Ford Crown Vic with a 5.0 . All I know about the trans is that it is an automatic w/overdrive. It stopped going into overdrive on my way home one day and I had to put it in drive to even move. I drove it up the road after replacing the clip and that's all. I'm afraid to drive it because I don't want to ruin it if it can be fixed. Can that linkage come loose somewhere else?

Old 02-17-02, 08:04 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Again, hit the links I have provided and they should have the linkage adjustment procedure.

Start there and tell us what you get.

Old 02-17-02, 02:56 PM
The linkage you mention is adjustable.There is usually another clip on the linkage itself that you remove to adjust it.I'd recommend a shop check it though for the proper adjustment due to if it's not right it can cause transmission failure.

Old 02-20-02, 02:05 PM
Thunderchicken
Visiting Guest
I checked to make sure it was connected on the transmission and it was. I could see the shaft going into the transmission turned when I moved the linkage. I haven't dropped the pan because I'm not sure if there is anything I can do after I do. What next?

Old 02-20-02, 09:45 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Do as Fordtech suggested and have a good shop or tranny shop set it up for you.

It is similar to the TV cable on a 700R4 GM. If it's not right, you will wipe out the trans. in a jiffy.