Fan problems

Old 02-17-02, 08:58 AM
Tisha
Visiting Guest
Angry Fan problems

I have a 1992 Pontiac Lemans, it has been giving me total grief with the stupid fan(as you can see I am getting annoyed at it). It continues to stay on even after the car has been truned off, I end up having to take out the fuse to stop it. But the main thing that upsets me is that it does it when it feels like it, and when I tried to take it to my mechanic, it was normal and didn't do it. Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong with it? Is there anything I can do(instead of taking it to the mechanic)? because my mechanic is an hour drive away from me, and I would rather fix it myself instead of wasting gas and money to take it down to him.

Thanks

Tisha

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-02, 10:54 AM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
the fan's operation is controlled by an electrostatic switch/sensor which turns it on and off according to engine/radiator temperature...this switch is probably faulty...replacing it is simple and should cure your problem...

get a service manual for your vehicle or ask the auto parts person, they can tell you the location of the switch/sensor...if you trace the wire loom from the fan itself back to your engine, switch should be mounted there...

Old 02-24-02, 10:15 AM
Tisha
Visiting Guest
Does anyone know where I can get a repair manual?? I have checked chilton and hayes or haynes(whatever it's called), both do not have any manual for my car......is there any other publishers of repair manuals?

Old 02-24-02, 03:23 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check the links in my signature file for more information.

As noted, the best manual is the factory one, but a Lemans of this vintage (I hate the fact that Pontiac recycled the name LeMans for this thing...a Lemans was a good old Poncho at one time) isn't worth the ducats for a factory book.

You can also pay 25 bucks and you'll get basically the same information in yearly Alldata.com subscription.