buying a 96 Blazer LS 4dr

Old 02-17-02, 12:04 PM
buying a 96 Blazer LS 4dr

I currently own a 2001 Blazer LS. My father is about to buy a 96 Blazer LS 4dr (4.3l V6) from the dealer. It has 75,000 miles on it and
aesthetically it is in good condition. I ran a title check on it and its clean. It was registered commercial (but I think it was for tax
purposes based on the appearance) and it failed emissions in October 2000 than passed the next day. I am having my mechanic go
to the dealer to check it out tomorrow. I was wondering if there is anything specific I should look out for. I looked in the coolant
reservoir and it was a little murky (dex cool) but I think a chemical flush should take care of it. Any idea what that would cost. I'm afraid of the dex cool clogging the heater core. Any help or
comments you guys could offer would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-02, 02:41 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You're doing all the right things, so if there are problems, they should become self evident.

The mileage is a little bit high for the age, but if the asking price is good and the condition is good, might be worth it.

Old 02-17-02, 05:06 PM
danc37166
Visiting Guest
re: 96 BLAZER

IF IT IS A 4X4 MAKE SURE IT SHIFTS OK. EXPENSIVE TO REPAIR.

Old 02-18-02, 08:20 AM
Well I just got back from my mechanic. Heres his list. The 2 front motor mounts are shot. It needs an alignment. Theres play in the right front wheel (control link arm). Theres oil spilling from somewhere. The AC doesn't work. (probably because the heater core is clogged with rusty Dex-Cool). I tell all this to the dealer and he says "well I guess this isn't the car for you because I have don't have the money to fix that". Now I'm not any sort of expert but I would think that 2 motor mounts and a screwy right wheel are kind of major problems. Not to mention the "massive", as my mechaninc put it, oil leak. I've bought 3 new cars from this dealer and I can't believe he said this. Oh well. Time to keep looking, or convince my father to buy new.

Old 02-18-02, 09:48 AM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
sounds like you're making the right decision...if more people were like you and took the initiative to have a vehicle checked by a competent mechanic before buying a used vehicle, they could save a lot of headaches and money...

Old 02-18-02, 11:47 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree. Sounds like a heap to me.

These S,T series Blazers are as common as dirt, keep looking. Plenty of 'em out there.

Old 02-18-02, 11:54 AM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
if you were a REALLY nice guy you would give your dad your truck and buy yourself another new one...

Old 02-26-02, 10:40 AM
Buying a used car is turning into a major PITA. I guess I'm spoiled being that I've only bought or leased new. I spend hours searching the paper and I've tried dealers and private sellers. Its impossible to find any kind of SUV with decent mileage, a clean interior, and most importantly a good mechanincal system. I've brought 3 cars to my mechanic since the 96 Blazer. They've all been in horrible shape. One car had 96K miles on it and the original transmission fluid (it was pitch black and had noticeable "chunks" floating in it). That was only the beginning of that car. Did I mention that almost all of them have oil leak problems. The list my mechaninc gives me after each car is at least 15 items long and they're all rather major repairs that could have been prevented. I know hes not screwing around with me because hes a friend and has been my mechaninc for years. He even said "I don't want to see you buy a heap because I'll be the one doing the work on it". Don't people in NYC/LI take care of their cars anymore? Sorry, I'm just venting.

Old 02-26-02, 04:06 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lol. Depends. Should go out of state for a clean one. NJ, PA and other places. Do your homework, can't be in a rush .

Check ebay.com, classifieds2000.com or any online ad service. Check various dealer's inventory and ask dealers to locate one for you. Most will.

I chase most people away when I sell one of my cars. The price is the price and that's that . If you don't buy there's 10 people behind you that will . Lol.