oil smell

Old 02-18-02, 12:01 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
oil smell

The last 3 Buicks I have owned, (v-6) everytime you change the oil, for about 500 miles you have this hot fresh clean oil smell, the filters are a PITA to change, but no oil runs on any hot exhaust parts and I clean up all of the drippings. #1 son has and olds that has the same smell.(V-6) Weird as the 4.3 GMC does not have this odor. Dealer says "so?" This is no biggie, but sometimes an old geezer like me just wants to get something figured out for- like Peace of Mind.. About to think maybe it is just penzoil as thats all I ever used.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-02, 01:27 PM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
could be the Pennzoil, never used it, could be pcv valve not doing it's job...

Old 02-18-02, 01:44 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Not sure of the actual issue.....could have a leaky valve cover gasket or seal and the fresh clean oil passes it by for a while and then seals up again.

If there's no oil loss or really objectionable odor, I would say no issue . Mooser has a point about the PCV system.

Old 02-18-02, 01:46 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Yep, I have sort of leaned on the brand of oil. All 3 Buicks and 1 olds have done this from the first oil change at 2000 miles. Like I sez tho the 4.3 engine never did this.
Thanks

Old 02-18-02, 01:49 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I don't use Penzoil only because it doesn't go on sale much .

I use Amoco, Exxon, Mobil, Havoline, and others as they are all very good and usually on sale quite reasonably with a rebate. I've even used Sears Spectrum oil, and it's fine too. The key is frequent oil and filter changes more so than high priced oil.