what type of welder

Old 02-18-02, 01:59 PM
JeepCJ820
Visiting Guest
what type of welder

ok folks, my girlfriend has given me the OK to use her sears card to buy a welder. I'm mostly going to be using it on my jeep, welding bumpers, roll cages, motor mounts to the frame, ect... nothing is really more the a 1/4" thick, I dont have a lot of money to spend, should i go with a Arc? a mig? how many amps? what voltage 110? 240?

please hurry and help me, before she changes her mind!!!!

-Ron

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-02, 02:22 PM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
my opinion:

the 110 migs and arcs are very sorry performers, especially on material 1/4" or thicker...

I would recommend a 220 mig for ease of use and being user friendly, but they are very expensive...

best buy and best for what you intend to use it for, 220 ac or ac/dc arc welder, commonly known as a "buzz box"...

I have owned all of the above listed machines at one time or another, still have the 110 mig but don't use it, use the 225 amp Lincoln buzz box for everything, got more amps than you'll ever use around the house, have put on several hitches with it and built handrail for around a pool, can't beat it if you know how to stick weld...cost only about $150 for an ac machine, can't beat that...you need a 240 plug in to run it...

bottom line: the 110 machines cost at least as much as the 225 Lincoln, double for a mig, and will only serve to frustrate you over time...

best of all for you, I'm sure Sears sells this machine...

Last edited by mooser1; 02-18-02 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-18-02, 04:28 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I don't have experiences with welders, but Mooser gives you some sound advice.

I would say the Sears/Craftsman is rebadged Lincoln welder. Sears tends to rebox pretty good stuff.

I found out the DieHard battery charger I bought was actually a rebadged Schumaker, who has 80% of the charger market . I got the best one they had. Pretty neat little machine

Old 02-18-02, 06:14 PM
JeepCJ820
Visiting Guest
welder

this is the welder i'm Aiming for....

Sears welder

Old 02-18-02, 06:37 PM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
that looks like it'll do more than you'll ever need Jeep......go for it.......Craftsman will be made by Lincoln, Hobart, Miller or somebody large in the industry and should have a good warranty......

Happy Sparking!!!!!

Old 02-19-02, 03:53 PM
JeepCJ820
Visiting Guest
thanks

thanks for your help! just one step closer i guess now i have to learn how to weld huh???

Old 02-19-02, 05:24 PM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
exactly......

glad to help...most community colleges have classes for next to nothing...

happy meltdown...

Old 02-19-02, 06:58 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
I think the welder you're considering is probably manufactured by Century. It looks suspiciously similar to Century model 84250. See for yourself:
Century model 84250

Sears 20129

Stick welders are cheap and will work ok if you're welding 1/8" and larger steel. BUT...they don't work especially well with stock thinner than 1/8", and you can't weld aluminum with them.

Although MIG welders are more expensive, they are far more versatile than stick welders. A good 110V MIG is great for auto body repair and light welding, not so great for anything larger than 3/16".

I personally don't like to buy things twice, so I saved my pennies & bought a used Snap-On YA212 230V/230A MIG welder. With the correct gas & wire, I can weld everything from very thin sheetmetal (20 ga.) up to very heavy steels (1/4" +). Change the gas, wire & liner & I can weld aluminum all day long. The Snap-On welder is rated for industrial use and is absolute overkill for home use.

Before you buy, I suggest you take a welding class at your local night school or community college. Many school districts offer these classes as part of their Continuing Adult Education programs & they're very reasonably priced. In the class, you'll learn how to use each type of welder & then you can decide which type is right for your intended use & which you feel most comfortable using.

While you're taking the class, save your money & try to pay cash for the welder. The interest rate on a Sears charge card approaches usury. If you can't pay off the welder in a few months, it'll end up costing you a fortune.

Remember too that you'll need a few accessories to go with your welder, such as a GOOD welding helmet, (the cheap ones are really annoying) a few different shade lenses to go with the helmet, a GOOD pair of welding gloves and a GOOD welding apron, and a slag hammer (if you choose a stick welder).

Once you start to use the welder, you'll find a need for some other metal working tools such as an oxyacetelyne torch or a plasma cutter, a chop saw, a band saw, a 4 1/2" angle grinder, a bench grinder, a combo disc/belt sander, etc. etc. Save your money and pay cash whenever possible.

Buy only quality tools....your money is wasted on junk. Shop the local tool houses, dept. stores like Sears, online tool suppliers & even local flea markets & auctions for the best deal.

Good luck!

Old 02-20-02, 05:49 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with Knuckles. Shop around and do your homework on it.

If you contact Century and Schumaker, ask them if they make for Sears. I do this all the time with a Sears tool and I usually get a favorable reply with the vendor.

I use my Sears card ONLY because I get an extra 10% off (I NEVER carry a balance month to month...the credit card companies hate folks like me. I pay all on time ). But, Knuckles is right.

Do your homework and you'll be rewarded. Snapon also has great product support. Witih Sears, they support it, but typically I have found that going back to whoever made it for them is the way to go to get what you need to know.

Good luck. A welder may be in the future down the road with my own house some day

Search this Thread