carb problem 83 Chevy S-10

Old 02-19-02, 12:12 PM
milly4554
Visiting Guest
carb problem 83 Chevy S-10

I' ve rebuilt my e2se rochester carb for my 83 chevy S-10 ,2.8L V-6., now when I step on the accelerator, there's a pause before the engine accelerates. Runs OK but starts are hard when cold, doesent want to idle, I useually have to crank it a couple of times and hold down the accelerator pedal. When I bought the truck several years ago, my mechanic removed a plate between the carb & manifold (it has a double wire electrical connector atached to a grid centered on one of the intake holes) Is this important Gene

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-02, 01:37 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yup that's an early fuel evaporation grid. There for a reason.

Seek out another mechanic. One that removes parts that belong there is not one to go to .

Those grids are a couple of sheckles from Delco or the aftermarket sources.

Your problem sounds like a bad accelerator pump in the carburetor. These varajets are the worst Rochester made carburetors .

Old 02-20-02, 01:43 AM
milly4554
Visiting Guest
Evaporator Grid

So---put it back on ? Perhaps I should replace my carb with something better---any suggestions? Thanks

Old 02-20-02, 03:47 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ya, as said before, the grid belongs there .

There is no better carburetor for this one. GM pitched the varajet in 1986 for fuel injection....a much better idea. Too much work on this old shoe, just get it the best you can.

Old 02-20-02, 11:11 AM
milly4554
Visiting Guest
carb

Thanks Joe ,I'll put the grid on and let you know what happens.

Old 03-04-02, 07:15 AM
milly4554
Visiting Guest
Rochester varijet carb

Well , I Replaced the accelerator pump skirt & spring and put on the fuel evaporator grid. Not much better............ I still have a small hesitation when I step on the accelerator , also (when I have the air cleaner off) if I place my hand over the small barrel of the carb, but let some air through, the idle increases, take my hand off,resumes previous idle. Is this normal? Thanks

Old 03-04-02, 08:09 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check to make sure there are no vacuum leaks. Spray at the base of the carburetor with Gumout and see if the idle changes. If it does, vacuum leak.

Go through all the rubber lines and make sure none are missing or cracked. Rectify any that are.

I'm telling you, these carburetors are the rock bottom pits. Sometimes good enough is enough here