Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

another problem popped up

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

09-03-01, 12:39 PM   #1  
I am replacing an old light fixture in my house (about 40-50 years old) and I have run into some trouble. After removing the old fixture from the ceiling, I have a total of nine wire coming into the box. They are connected into four sets: Three grounds together; Two white wires (one wire has white paint on it) together attached to white wire of old fixture; One black wire (wire has white paint on it) attached to black wire of old fixture; Two black wires and one white wire (All three wires have white paint on them) connected together with wire nut. After attaching the white wire from the new fixture to the two white wires and the black wire from the new fixture to the one black wire and the grounds together, it does not work. I have already returned the new fixture once, tried new bulbs in the new fixture and it still does not work. I have also switched an old fixtures from another room and it works, however the new fixture won't. I believe the problem is with the wiring and not the new fixture. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links

02-19-02, 12:17 PM   #2  
another problem popped up

Drove 300 miles yesterday and the carb is running fine. Went from 11.1 to 13.3. Dodge b150 van 318. Ran through mountains and the water temp was up. I timed it at 6000 feet and am right on the mark. I now have a thumping noise, almost like its a diesel running. I put a scredriver on the air pump and its sounding off. Climing the temp would go down and coasting downhill the temp was up. I checked the fan and waterpump and theres very very little play. My Haynes manual says that a high pitched sound would be the waterpump but the sound is very different. I suspect the fan clutch. I located one, and Im in Mexico. It says its for a 70, 79. I was told its the same. Any thoughts on the diagnosis and does anyone think the 70, 79 clutch would work. Thanks. Remember Im in Mexico and the right parts are impossible to come by.

Visiting Guest

02-19-02, 01:35 PM   #3  
Joe_F
It will "probably" work, but won't be the right thing.

If the fan spins freely for more than a couple of revolutions after turning it off, the clutch is wiped.

At this age, the clutch is likely original and wiped. Should be changed anyhow.

You also might have timing problems which would mean that pinging sound. That will cause overheating as well.

I'm telling you, old carbureted Chryslers are winners .

Visiting Guest

02-19-02, 03:21 PM   #4  
mooser1
easywind, don't know how you access it but I sent you a private message, check it......or email me at: [email protected]

02-20-02, 11:50 AM   #5  
What does spinning freely mean? I{m on a spanish keyboard and my previous message was wiped out so Im going to forget grammer and punctuation and spelling. I can spin the fan by hand but I have resistance and must keep on it to keep it spinning. The airpump was causing the racket, three different bolts 3 sizes, 2 metric 1 sae. Have a boneyard engine in it and just refilled with antifreeze. Im going to pull the radiator, core it out, backflush it and go for the fan clutch and install the right one when it becomes available timing is stone on the mark, took a half hour to find the mark. thanks mas tarde

Visiting Guest

02-20-02, 12:13 PM   #6  
mooser1
you're on the right track once again amigo....fan should NOT spin freely, shouldn't spin at all when engine isn't running, you should be able to force it to move, but not easily.....fan clutch is designed to lock up pretty solid when engine idling and you need to move air thru the radiator, then slack off when you're cruising and getting air thru the grill....

keep hammerin' Alan, you'll whip this beast yet...

dos Corona's...

02-21-02, 12:39 PM   #7  
Mooser, got your message, thanks once again, One of the nicest things about Mexico is if you climb a mountain and fall off (t.s.) In the states, you sue the mountain. Going to try your trick. The clutch spins when forced but you have to keep pushing it, will not spin if not forced. Should I presume its good? From what Im hearing it sounds good.

Visiting Guest

02-21-02, 12:43 PM   #8  
mooser1
if you have to force it, it's probably good.....if you try the trick, be careful.....I honestly think it's ok though and you can move on......

let me know if you need more help.....

Visiting Guest

02-21-02, 01:44 PM   #9  
Joe_F
Start the truck up. Warm it up.

Then shut it off. Observe how the fan runs. If it "free wheels" (spins more than five times), the clutch is wiped.

You'll also see grease and dirt where the fluid is housed if it's bad.

At this age...it's bad and likely original. Pitch it for a new one to rule it out as being the problem.

02-22-02, 09:57 AM   #10  
Mooser, Tried your trick and wiped out the cb. I guess the fan clutch is ok. Ill pull the radiator after the weekend and have it cleaned out. Can you advise on how to backflush the system with the radiator in. There are no backflush kits in Mexico. Im thinking of just pulling the lower radiator hose and flushing water through the system with the engine running. Thanks everyone.

Visiting Guest

02-22-02, 10:25 AM   #11  
Joe_F
Run the system with the petcock open until what you get out of the system is just clear water. Then it is clean inside.

Visiting Guest

02-22-02, 05:42 PM   #12  
mooser1
pretty neat trick ain't it Alan.....you can understand why I don't post it for the general public.....old indian taught by my dad long ago.......

sounds like you got things going your way now, keep after it and let us know what's happening.....

02-22-02, 05:56 PM   #13  
Mooser, great trick. thanks. Joe Im going to look for a petcock and do that. I think Id be amazed if this thing had a petcock. If it doesnt than what. Im going to give it a rest over the weekend as Im sitting on the beach and very content. Drink some tequila and look to Monday. Have a good weekend all and thanks again for the help.

Visiting Guest

02-23-02, 10:44 AM   #14  
Joe_F
Lol. That is one way to accomplish it .

I have not seen a radiator (or a cooling system) without some sort of petcock. It will be on the bottom and will be T shaped more than likely.

Open it and drain the contents of the radiator into a bucket.

Visiting Guest

02-23-02, 11:54 AM   #15  
mooser1
wastin' away in margaritaville......

Search this Thread