Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

no spark 86 k10

Visiting Guest

02-19-02, 03:45 PM   #1  
trouble6969
no spark 86 k10

i have a 1986 chevy k10 350
she just died on my way home one night had to wake the wife up to come get me
i have replced: pickup coil,ignition module,coil
i have new plugs, wires,cap and rotor,starter batterie and cables
she turns over great but no spark on #1 plug. Please can someone help me i am going crazy.
thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-19-02, 04:42 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Make sure you are checking for spark correctly. The end must be grounded to metal to see it jump.

Does the distributor rotor turn when you crank? If not, the timing chain fell off.

Take off another plug wire and see if you have spark.

If you put some fuel in the carb will it try to run? Backfire? Anything?

Visiting Guest

02-20-02, 01:33 PM   #3  
trouble6969
no spark 86 k10

the rotor does move when turned over,
and we have tried 3differant plugs that where grounded to metal,
it is getting fuel also but no i have not tried to pour some in the carb, i will do that tomorrow.
thanks for replying

Visiting Guest

02-20-02, 01:55 PM   #4  
mooser1
check the 12 volt wire from the back of your starter solenoid that powers the ignition system...may have broken or fallen off...

check the fusible links mounted on the firewall, the largest one should run the ignition...if you can stretch it by pulling firmly from both ends, it's toast...

check all electrical connectors going to and coming from your distributor, have someone wiggle them while you crank it over... the very large multi-pin connector on the firewall near the steering shaft, make sure it's solidly connected, wiggle it too...

if this doesn't find anything, you're not getting any juice to the distributor, I would suspect the ignition switch itself, Chevy has a history of switches going bad...

post back, let us know...

Visiting Guest

02-23-02, 06:43 AM   #5  
trouble6969
no spark 1986 k10

we'll i have tried everything and nothing seams to work....
my next move is to start a big bon fire with it lol
thanks for all the info guy's

Visiting Guest

02-23-02, 09:32 AM   #6  
mooser1
don't junk her just yet, mr. trouble...

with a 12 volt test light check to see if there is current available at the BAT terminal of the distributor with the key turned on.....

if not, check your fuse box, if you haven't done so already, there should be two fuses related to the ignition system labeled IGN, one or both of these might have blown out....

check the oil pressure switch at the rear of the distributor, right side as you look at engine, wire could have gotten knocked off or switch could be bad.....

if all else fails, run a jumper wire from the battery positive post to the BAT terminal on the distributor cap, if this gives you spark, there is a broken or loose wire in the ignition switch or somewhere between the fuse block and the distributor.....

hang tough and post back.....

Visiting Guest

02-23-02, 10:12 AM   #7  
Joe_F
Mooser is right on the money....

Visiting Guest

02-26-02, 02:14 PM   #8  
trouble6969
no spark 86 k10

just wanted to say thanks for all the help... turns out i replaced a lot of stuff i did not need to.. the brand new coil i bought at auto zone was bad, my wife naged me all weekend until i put the old one back in it and what do you know she was write for once
thanks again

Visiting Guest

02-26-02, 03:51 PM   #9  
Joe_F
Lol....

Why did you change the coil? They rarely fail.

All original coils on all my GM's

Visiting Guest

02-27-02, 01:53 PM   #10  
trouble6969
no spark 86 k10

i just thought while i was changing the plugs, rotor, cap and wires i would change that too. wont do that again lol
thanks for all the help.. the big truck got fixed just in time for our foot and a half of snow we got since Monday

Search this Thread