just bought 91 voyager- what now?

Old 02-19-02, 08:10 PM
jazzman
Visiting Guest
Question just bought 91 voyager- what now?

Hi I just bought my 91 voyager. It is a 4 cyl. 2.5. 175,000 miles. No overdrive.
Body is in good shape and interior. $6oo. Was that a good price?
This was kind of an impulse buy seeing as my 88 corsica is leaking every kind of fluid possible & running pretty rough. 209,000 miles.
I'm wondering what my husband is in for. I drove it around the block twice. He said to park it till he can really check it out. He wanted me to ask what you thought about the transaxle.
From what he could find its a 404. When he drove it and stepped on the gas it would down shift. Like bog down.and wasn't shifting up like he thought it should.
This is our first minivan. Now I hear all the horror stories. My hubby is mechanically inclined so I am grateful. What do you think about the shifting? Dare I drive it? Could it be the linkage? Or in need of adjustment? I sure hope I didn't get a him a headache. Thank you for all the advice. Steph

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-02, 03:53 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Liked wiped out internally in the transmission at this mileage.

Change the fluid and filter, check the fluid level. If that doesn't do it, pitch it and count your losses.

These weren't very good vans and you're up there in mileage. Unfortunately, this was the reason it was only 600 bucks, which nets a good parts car these days.

Reasonable used cars depending on your mechanical ability, knowledge to source parts and desire to spend time fixing it every weekend are about 2000 and better .

What I'm saying is bail out before it soaks you for repairs and you're into it for a lot of dough.