Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Loss of Oil

Visiting Guest

02-20-02, 10:40 AM   #1  
BillMichel
Loss of Oil

My boss's 96 Honda Accord blew out all the oil. He was able to put enough oil in to get his car home. I removed the spark plug wires and 3 of 4 were covered with oil. Somehow, oil is getting in where the spark plugs screw in. Any ideas where this may be coming from? The car is not blowing smoke out at all. The coolant looks good so I don't believe it's the head gasket.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-20-02, 10:41 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Most of the time, the valve covers have O-ring type seals which leak into the spark plug chambers and cause loss of oil and perhaps misfiring.

I'd start there. I'm pretty sure the Honda has this type of system.

Lol, will you get a raise for fixing his car?

Visiting Guest

02-20-02, 12:24 PM   #3  
mooser1
you said it "blew out all the oil"...where did it blow it out?

you said plugs are covered in oil but it's not smoking, this doesn't sound right...should be smoking drastically...

if it did indeed blow out all the oil through the pcv line or breathers, it could be the oil pump has self destructed, have seen the check valve pressure regulators fail and oil will pump out wherever it can find a hole....

what Joe says about valve stem seals is correct, but they will wear over a period of time and leak, not blow out suddenly...I suspect something more serious is wrong with this one...

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-20-02, 05:22 PM   #4  
I think Joe is relating to the valve cover gasket. Some of these have the spark plugs recessed through the top of the cover. The cover has o-ring type seals around each hole for the plug and wire. If it blew all the oil out rapidly, it should be fairly easy to find the leak. If it BLEW it out, as in under pressure, it might be what mooser suggested, or piston damage.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

02-20-02, 05:29 PM   #5  
mooser1
you are correct cheeze, I stand humbly corrected...

dirty glasses?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-20-02, 06:01 PM   #6  
Lol...not trying to correct you, but I didn't want BillMichel to get confused. You give a lot of good advice here mooser. I try to contribute here when I think I can, (used to be a Dodge tech), but my forum is small engines.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

02-21-02, 03:30 AM   #7  
Gix
check the balance shaft seal (in the timing cover) some of these were known to blow out of place , and i beleive there is a updated seal retainer to prevent this from occuring again

Visiting Guest

02-21-02, 09:20 AM   #8  
BillMichel
Loss of Oil

Thanks to all for your replies. Looks like I have my work cut out for me this weekend.
Aloha

Visiting Guest

02-21-02, 12:22 PM   #9  
joelp
If it is the balance shaft seal, there was a recall on it. Might want to check with your local dealer. This recall was within the last year.

Search this Thread