Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Saturn Makes Vibration-like noise while turning left

Visiting Guest

02-20-02, 12:11 PM   #1  
UFDavid
Saturn Makes Vibration-like noise while turning left

Hi,

I have a 92' Saturn LS

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-20-02, 12:20 PM   #2  
UFDavid
Saturn makes strange sound when turning left

Sorry, submitted to early. As I was saying, I have a 92 Saturn LS with power steering that makes a vibrating sound as if the wheel is shaking when I turn to the left. It only does this when I turn to the left, not to the right.

At first I thought I was running low on Power Steering Fluid, but there is plenty in the reservoir. Last time I was at the mechanic's he said I had a leak at rack-and-pinion, but like I said, there is plenty of power steering fluid and I check it regularily. I'm tempted to think that it may be something else, such as the wheel not may not being on tight enough or the wheel slipping on the road. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks.

David

Visiting Guest

02-20-02, 01:02 PM   #3  
Joe_F
Might have a bad inner tie rod which is located in the rack assembly.

Would make sense.

Visiting Guest

02-20-02, 01:44 PM   #4  
mooser1
have you tried jacking that wheel off the ground and shaking it by hand?

it just might be about to fall off, or wheel bearings could be going out...

just a thought...

Visiting Guest

03-05-02, 06:19 AM   #5  
UFDavid
Fixed the problem

If anyone is interested, the solution ended up being to replace the motor and transmission mounts. Apparantly, the engine was shifting and hitting the side of the car as I was turning left. My car also doesn't shake anymore, as it used to. If sitting idle you could hear my the dash shake, now it's quiet as a mouse. Also, my car is a manual and used to pop out of gear occasionally (I just kept my hand on the stick all the time); however, I have yet to see this happen. Overall, I'm happy. Thanks.

David

Visiting Guest

03-05-02, 06:34 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Makes sense.

The torque axis mount breakage is common with Saturn. They have revised the parts a few times.

Search this Thread