Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

getting steering wheel off '96 cherokee

Visiting Guest

02-21-02, 12:35 PM   #1  
bledsoe
getting steering wheel off '96 cherokee

I can't get the steering wheel off of my '96 cherokee. Anybody have knowledge on how to do this? If not, I'll go check out a manual. I need to get this sucker off so I can get the plastic cover off of the instrument and stereo/heater panel. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-21-02, 12:49 PM   #2  
mooser1
I would recommend getting a manual for sure, if your Jeep has a driver's side airbag this could get dangerous and very costly if not done properly.....

just a thought.....

Visiting Guest

02-21-02, 12:52 PM   #3  
bledsoe
Yeah, the airbag is why I've been reluctant to experiment with this...

Visiting Guest

02-21-02, 01:03 PM   #4  
mooser1
For sure, get the manual....it will recommend you let a qualified tech do this proceedure, but there should be instructions on disabling the SIR yourself.....I personally wouldn't mess with it, but maybe you can afford the grand or so to have the airbag re-installed if you blow it, up to you.....

just a thought.....

Visiting Guest

02-21-02, 01:41 PM   #5  
Joe_F
You need a puller to get the wheel off, that's one and Mooser is right.

Why are you in the column anyhow? Leave that to a professional.

What is wrong with the truck?

Visiting Guest

02-21-02, 01:49 PM   #6  
bledsoe
I need to replace the stereo. The plastic instrument panel cover is one big piece that covers the entire dashboard and I can't get it off (unless I break it) without getting that steering wheel out of the way. very annoying. Alright, I'll ask around on how to disable that airbag or how to get around this, thanks.

Visiting Guest

02-21-02, 03:24 PM   #7  
Joe_F
Might be able to lower the column enough to sneak that plastic trim out.

Again, why fool with the radio if it works. Aftermarket stereos look hokey in most vehicles

Visiting Guest

02-22-02, 07:17 AM   #8  
bledsoe
Well that's just it, it doesn't work! Internal failure. That's OK though, I sort of wanted something stronger anyway. I'm thinking there's got to be a way to get that panel off without removing the steering wheel. I did try lowering the tilt steering as low as possible like you suggested and still couldn't get it. Thanks for the help, I'll keep you posted...

Visiting Guest

02-22-02, 07:21 AM   #9  
Joe_F
What does your service manual state?

Also, hit the dealer's parts counter for an exploded view of the trim panels. It might (just might) reveal a trick you're not aware of.

The service manual is the best thing to get though.

Visiting Guest

02-22-02, 07:40 AM   #10  
bledsoe
I haven't had a chance to get the manual, but I will

Visiting Guest

02-22-02, 06:59 PM   #11  
darrell McCoy
you are getting good advice, specially about the air bag. I just cannot imagine having to remove the steering wheel for this job.
Thats a big can of worms. Like Joe sez, unbolt the column under dash and drop the entire unit. Look for screws in places you wont imagine, like behind the ashtray, that also hold cluster on.

Visiting Guest

02-25-02, 07:00 AM   #12  
bledsoe
OK, I called the dealer and they told me I could remove the cover around the steering column and then I would be able to get that panel off. They said there are 2 hidden screws in there somewhere holding it down, which is why I couldn't get it off. I haven't gotten back to it yet, but I'll get it. Having to take the whole steering wheel off just to get that panel off did sound a little ridiculous.... thanks again

Visiting Guest

02-25-02, 07:55 AM   #13  
Joe_F
Ok, let us know what you find. It's gotta be something hidden or simple you're missing

Visiting Guest

03-13-02, 11:50 AM   #14  
bledsoe
I finally got to this the other day and didn't have a tool to get at those 2 hidden screws. It's a torx 20 bit that I need. I have it, but the hole that leads to it is too narrow for any screwdriver to fit in. Any idea where I can get a long, narrow(as narrow as a bit) torx 20 tool?

Visiting Guest

03-13-02, 01:14 PM   #15  
chadtoolio
I have one of those tools, It's made by Snap-On. Do you want to borrow it?lol The bit is usually about 2" long..

Go to a local auto repair facility and ask one of the mechanics for the Snap-On mans name and number or go to www.snapon.com and look on their page..

Good luck

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-13-02, 07:55 PM   #16  
I have one I got from sears. It's a screwdriver with the torx end ground on the shaft. (instead of the driver with interchangeable bits.)

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

03-14-02, 07:06 AM   #17  
bledsoe
thanks guys. I'll pick one up

Visiting Guest

03-14-02, 08:51 AM   #18  
Joe_F
Yup, they offer a set of them quite reasonably.

Their master screwdriver set includes it as well. They usually put that one on sale.

I just returned a few of these screwdriver Torx things that Cheese talks about last week for new ones

Search this Thread