Jamie27
Visiting Guest
93 wrangler

Joe, what does the converter look like?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-02, 04:15 PM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
Jamie, Joe is referring to the catalytic converter on your exhaust system....it's located under the Jeep, on your exhaust pipe in front of the muffler.....

it looks like a muffler itself, except it should have a heat shield between it and the bottom of your truck....

Old 02-22-02, 09:25 AM
Jamie27
Visiting Guest
93 jeep

Ah yes, the converter has been making a funny sound for a few months now. I thought it was just the heat shield coming loose. In regards to the comment aboutthe fuel spilling over because the plug wires were bad, yes, I unfortunately ran the jeep for a while with that bad wire and was not getting the proper accelation. What do you suggest now?
Thanks, Jamie

Old 02-22-02, 09:30 AM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
unfortunately the converters cannot be repaired, they must be replaced with a new one.....get a firm hold on your checkbook and contact an exhaust repair shop.....

as Joe suggested, you should give the Jeep a complete tune-up, cap, rotor, plugs, fuel filter, etc., this will help the new converter do it's job and last a long time.....

Old 02-22-02, 09:33 AM
Jamie27
Visiting Guest
can you give me an estimate how much it will cost?

Thanks, Jamie

Old 02-22-02, 09:37 AM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
I have no idea, maybe Joe will be along shortly and he can give you an idea......a call to your local parts house or muffler man will tell you.......

Old 02-22-02, 10:34 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Converter is about 250 installed.

Tune up items, probably about 100 bucks in parts, another 100 or so to put them on.

I wouldn't know much about paying for labor, I do all my own work .

Old 02-22-02, 08:47 PM
Jamie27
Visiting Guest
thanks guys, I did already change the plugs, filters, cap, and wires. It looks like I'll have to have aprofessional install the converter. Thanks again,

Jamie

Old 02-23-02, 02:42 PM
Jamie27
Visiting Guest
Hi Guys, I was wondering if the convertter is something I change myself. I do most of the work on my car myself, Brakes, belts, etc. Is it something I can do on ramps do you think? Is it that intensive, or should I fork over the money to have it done?

Thanks,

Jamie

Old 02-23-02, 02:47 PM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
most (maybe all) factory converters are welded in place.....you might be able to hacksaw one out and use splices and clamps to replace it, but we're talkin' a lot of hassle here.....depends on your skill level and your desire to save money....personally I would leave it to the pros, and I've been a welder all my life.....

by the same token, if your's is bolted in with clamps, it would be just like changing a muffler......

Old 02-25-02, 02:42 PM
Jamie27
Visiting Guest
Hi guys, I just took my jeep to the shop and they put it up on lifts. They said the converter looked fine, but the muffler was shot. So they replaced the muffler and found that one of the two "biscuits had broke up and fell back into the muffler. They say that the converter would still run fine with only 1 biscuit. Is that true?

But alas, I still have the same problem. When the car gets up to 35 mph the accelaration backs off and the car rattles like I am going over grooved pavement.

Any suggestions
Thanks Jamie

Old 02-25-02, 08:08 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Bull buscuits is what I say

If you tap on the converter with the back of your hand and you feel and hear things breaking up and around there, you've got a wiped converter.

Old 03-03-02, 11:48 AM
Jamie27
Visiting Guest
93 jeep wrangler

Hello gentleman, I have replaced the converter and the muffler and the O2 sensor on my jeep. I have changed the wires, rotor, and cap. I have changed all fluids and filters. I still can not figure out and fix my problem which is that around 30 mph, the car starts to shake and feel like I am driving on grooved pavement, and there is hardly any acceleration. Can you help me further?

I appreciate all your help so far,

Jamie

Old 03-03-02, 03:19 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Do you get any trouble codes from the computer?

Old 03-03-02, 06:31 PM
Jamie27
Visiting Guest
there is no computer -I don't get any check engine signals either

Jamie

Old 03-03-02, 07:48 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Pretty sure this vehicle has some sort of feedback control..in fact it has to, you changed an O2 sensor. That sends its feedback back to something.

Newsflash: It is a computer .

Old 03-03-02, 07:52 PM
Jamie27
Visiting Guest
ok I agree it must have some sort of computer, but there is no screen on the dash where i could see a message or error code? the only thing on the dash would be the check engine light.

Jamie

Old 03-03-02, 07:56 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Which is the interface with the computer

See the links in my signature file for how to pull your trouble codes.

I also suggest you pick up a repair manual for your truck if the links below don't have component test and diagnostic information.

Old 03-03-02, 11:21 PM
is this an automatic or standard transmision if the whole vehicle shakes it is not likely engine related possible torque convertor coming apart if its an automatic, i would run by a transmision shop and have a tech test drive the vehicle they can likely tell you if it is transmision related problem just by driving it.

Old 03-04-02, 04:22 PM
Jamie27
Visiting Guest
thank you everyone for your help. I took it to the shop this morning and my mechanic found that the reason for the poor acceleration was due to a plug whose gap was shut tight. (I actually changed the plugs myself a few weeks ago, and didn't bother checking the gaps after the salesman reassured me they were pre-gapped!) Anyways the shaking is the U bolts holding the driveshaft and plus there is a leak in the case. So hopefully all will be well tomorrow.