Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

'86 Dodge pick up trouble

Visiting Guest

02-21-02, 04:51 PM   #1  
wild_thang1957
'86 Dodge pick up trouble

I have changed the fuel filter and the coil. The carb has been recently rebuilt. After it warms up, it dies when I slow down or stop. I was told the choke is working properly, but I have a feeling this is the problem. Any ideas??? I sure could use some advice!! Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-21-02, 05:12 PM   #2  
mooser1
get the truck warmed up...

with the engine running remove the air cleaner and check if the choke flap is vertical (straight up and down) or nearly so....if it's vertical choke should be ok....

Visiting Guest

02-21-02, 05:18 PM   #3  
wild_thang1957
'86 dodge choke

Hi Mooser, Hubby has checked that out. So far the choke seems to be working correctly. Hubby is alot of things, but he is NOT a mechanic. That's why I'm having to seek help here. Thanks for your help!!

Visiting Guest

02-21-02, 05:28 PM   #4  
mooser1
have hubby check the EGR valve and the vacuum lines that control it, if this valve gets carbon'd up it can stick open when warm and ruin a clean idle....

also, have hubby re-adjust mixture screws on carb with engine warmed up, not when it first starts...he may have to increase the "curb idle" a tad, this being the idle rpm with the tranny in gear, not in park....

Joe_F, the moderator has a link in his signature file to "The Basics" in which he details some of these proceedures...check it out for more info that might help also...

Visiting Guest

02-21-02, 05:37 PM   #5  
wild_thang1957
Thank you for your help

Thank you very much for the information. I will definitely check it out.

Visiting Guest

02-21-02, 05:51 PM   #6  
mooser1
always glad to help out a "Sooner"

Visiting Guest

02-21-02, 05:53 PM   #7  
wild_thang1957
LOL I might live here, but I am a Husker fan myself!!

Search this Thread