Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Getting under my dodge intrepid

Visiting Guest

02-24-02, 08:05 AM   #1  
mbelew
Getting under my dodge intrepid

I want to start changing the oil myself on my '96 dodge intrepid, but I'm not sure how to get underneath. The owners manual tells me there are only locations for the jack next to each wheel on the rocker panel. When I look at those, there is only enough room for the jack between the fiberglass of the body and the panel, there's not enough room for jack stands. I want to be able to get under the car safely to get to the drain plug and filter, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-24-02, 08:07 AM   #2  
jeep87
may i suggest car ramps.

Visiting Guest

02-24-02, 08:22 AM   #3  
mbelew
I don't really know anyone that uses those. Are they pretty safe? Do you use them yourself?

Visiting Guest

02-24-02, 09:08 AM   #4  
jeep87
i have used car ramps in the past. make sure you block your tires so nothing decides to roll away. shouldn't be on ramps too long anyway if just changing the oil.

Visiting Guest

02-24-02, 03:24 PM   #5  
Joe_F
You can get a good set of ramps for 50 bucks or less from Sears. I have them. They are excellent.

Gives you plenty of room to get under there. You might have to drive up on some 2x10s first to clear the lower bumper cover, but then you'll be fine.

Group Moderator

FL

02-24-02, 06:02 PM   #6  
I've had my ramps for decades, but Joe's right (as usual) about the wood blocks as starters to get past low clearance cars.

Group Moderator

FL

02-24-02, 06:04 PM   #7  
Oh, note of caution, however; be real careful driving up onto them the first few times - gets ugly if you don't have them positioned properly and/or you drive off the ends.

Visiting Guest

02-24-02, 06:56 PM   #8  
Joe_F
Whoa Nelley...

Always have someone guide you up the ramps. YOU WILL DRIVE OVER THEM IF YOU DON'T . They should stand clear in case the car lurches over.

Take it from one who did it.

Most cars are low in the front now and have clearance issues with ramps. I have it on my Pontiac Trans Ams due to the spoilers in the front...

Group Moderator

FL

02-26-02, 04:47 AM   #9  
Also need to be careful of the ramps "creeping" forward as you inch up the ramp. I cure it by putting the forward ends near joints in the driveway and sticking some big nails into the joints to stop any forward movement of the ramp.

Visiting Guest

02-26-02, 06:28 AM   #10  
Joe_F
True. I do it in the street in front of the house. I live on a quiet residential block and have plenty of room to work .

Sometimes I just put one side of the car on the curb and sneak under there (to say change the oil). Works like a charm and I have plenty of room to get under there to do the work.

Search this Thread