Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

96 Ford Explorer Heater Porblems

Visiting Guest

02-24-02, 08:16 AM   #1  
Mjosephs
96 Ford Explorer Heater Porblems

I have a 96 Ford Explorer XLT that just came out of the shop. Had the thermostat replaced, radiator flushed & pressure tested. Everything worked fine for 3 starts. Heater worked fine. Then after leaving car parked/off for 5 hours, heater would not work. Only blows cold air. Control knobs don't make a difference.

Any suggestions on what to check? I'm hoping something is loose but don't know where to start. Friend also suggested anti-freeze might be low considering system was just serviced.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-24-02, 03:30 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Yes, low antifreeze will cause it.

Feel the heater hoses when the truck is warmed up. Are they hot? If so, the problem is inside the vehicle with the blend door.

My .02: Back to the shop that did all the work and make them make good on the repair and fix at no charge.

Visiting Guest

03-10-02, 08:57 AM   #3  
Mjosephs
Shop insisted the heater core needed replacement. Claimed the same corrosion that caused the thermostat to go bad caused the heater core to go bad. Of course, they replaced the core (and the door actuator that I thought was the problem) and I still had the problem. Brought it back to the shop hopping mad and they found a loose wire that needed to be repaired. They repaired the wire for free, but still charged me for the heater core & door actuator repair ($700).

I'm going to submit a claim to Ford. I'll pay for the parts (that I claim I didn't need) but I want to get reimbursed for the labor. Ford mechanic claims the heater core was bad and needed replacing anyway. I find it hard to believe on a 6 year old car.

Visiting Guest

03-10-02, 09:10 AM   #4  
Joe_F
How often do you change your coolant? If not frequently enough, it will rot out the core or clog it.

Other that that, I agree.

Search this Thread