Used Car Saga

Old 02-28-02, 12:49 PM
Used Car Saga

so I'm lookind at a used car to purchase for my father. 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0l full time 4wd and 65K. I had the dealer bring the car to my mechanic. This is the diagnosis. It has an oil leak which is either originating from a bad head gasket or main seal. The only other problems are it needs a rear pinion seal and a transfer case seal. It also has a bad vibration when it shifts to second but it eventually "fades away". I told all this to the dealer (Honda City in Levittown) and they have offered to let MY mechaninc do the work and they'll take $1000 off of the sellign proce which is currently $8,995. They've been very helpful so far, the radio display wasn't working and they went right out and installed a new one. I haven't even comitted to buying the car. I was wondering what everyones opinion on this is. Is the vibration a bad problem? This will be the 4th car in the family and the only used one. My father is going to use it primarily to drive to the train station and maybe take it on vacation. He'll put maybe 4k on it a year. Thanks for your input.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-02, 03:27 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Pass. Sounds like a heap. Too much trouble. You're asking for it .

For 9 thousand bucks, you can find something better that will give great service. That has problems that 20 year old cars don't have!

Old 02-28-02, 08:16 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I agree w/ Joe_F. Pass on this car. The dealer sounds like they are eager to sell it & willing to work w/you, but the car has too many problems for its age, mileage & price.

Old 03-04-02, 12:07 PM
Its finally over. I got a 1997 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer. Leather and everything. The mechanic checked it out and said it passed with flying colors. Got a great price on it too. Can't wait to get to detailing it. Its my fathers truck (he was jealous of my 2001 Blazer) but I can't stand dirty cars so I'm gonna take care of cleaning the leather and stuff. Thanks for all your help in answering my questions. I appreciate it. ----- Tom

Old 03-04-02, 02:10 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Good luck with your "new" wheels.

Search this Thread