Cam Problems-69 chevelle-396

Old 02-28-02, 07:39 PM
crick
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Cam Problems-69 chevelle-396

Well here goes,i just replaced hydraulic cam with a solid,i noticed when i pulled the old cam out,that it had a lobe that was wiped out and the lifter was pretty bad off as well, i figured it was due to over tightening,rocker tapps get the better of me,well apparently i was very wrong because i just went out and wasted about $400.00 bucks and a couple days of my time and wiped out a brand new cam in about 20 minutes,,,,,,, same exact lobe on new cam is wiped out, i guess i have deeper troubles,where to next?? it is #7 exaust if that makes a difference, it 's probably been this way since i had the engine totally redone now that i think about it,because that rocker became very noisy and a couple months later a little smoke&burnt valves on that cylinder,,i thought the cam was oiled mainly from the crank slinging oil is there some other way its not getting oil??? Any Help Guys?? i need it

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-02, 08:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you have an aftermarket intake manifold installed? What I've noticed is that some intake manifolds don't have as high of a shoulder at the bolt holes as the stock intake does. This allows the intake bolt to go too far into the head and it protrudes into the hole that the push-rod goes through. It actually pushes on the push-rod, binding it up. Look at the push rod, where it goes through the head and see if a bolt is pinching it. If not, I would say you have a sticking valve.

Old 03-01-02, 03:03 PM
crick
Visiting Guest
thanks cheese,i checked that ,it turned out okay,everybody i talk to says i have an oiling problem and i'm figuring on pulling the engine,i'm sure its got bits of metal all through it from both cams getting wiped, i dread pulling it thou, i got about 2 months before the car shows get cranked up and the funds arent looking to good to get it back together real quick

Old 03-01-02, 06:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would lean toward valve train problems, especially since you mentioned a burned valve. A wiped cam lobe and burned valve indicates one of two things: valves too tight, or something binding in the valve train(lifter, pushrod, valve stem)

Search this Thread