92 Nissan PU - blows fuel pump fuse

Old 03-01-02, 01:56 PM
hd_snow
Visiting Guest
Question 92 Nissan PU - blows fuel pump fuse

I have a 92 Nissan pickup that blows the fuel pump fuse on rainy or foggy days. It works fine on clear sunny days.

With the truck running I used a hose and sprayed the wiring to the fuel pump. When I sprayed close to the fuse block under the hood that contains the fuel pump relay the fuse blew. I swapped out the fuel pump relay and put dielectric grease on everything hoping to moisture proof it. The problem still exists. TIA!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-02, 05:20 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Likely a wire that has chaffed insulation and when it takes on moisture, it blows the fuse.

Old 03-01-02, 09:09 PM
hd_snow
Visiting Guest
That makes sense to me and I've traced the wires. I had a Subaru in that past that some squirrels took to eatin' the wiring. But I don't see any walnuts or any wires that look suspect. I've pulled apart every connector that I could find. The connectors look in good shape and I covered them with dielectric grease and put back together.

I am thinking on running a wire from the relay under the hood to the fuel pump to try and isolate the problem. Would you have any other suggestions on tracing this sucker. THANKS!

Old 03-02-02, 05:05 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You could do that. And if you lick the source of the problem, the wire has a breakdown somewhere.

Check www.alldata.com for any known bulletins that might match your problem.