Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

93 camry 4cyl BRAKE PULSATION!

Visiting Guest

03-01-02, 07:27 PM   #1  
wantonsoupguy
93 camry 4cyl BRAKE PULSATION!

Hi all, I have 93 Camry with 88,000 miles that vibrates/pulsates only on hard braking. The tires,rotors and drums have all been replaced. The noise, when it occurs, sounds like i'm driving on a very improperly worn tire and seems like it is coming from the rear of the car. Anybody have any thoughts?

Wanton

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-01-02, 08:00 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Sounds like poorly made replacement rotors. Only use US or Canadian made (or OE) replacements.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-01-02, 11:04 PM   #3  
Check the springs in the rear brakes. You say it sounds like it's in the back, and only when braking hard, which indicates rear brake problems. Sounds like a missing or broken spring. Did it have this problem before all this brake work was performed?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

03-02-02, 07:29 AM   #4  
wantonsoupguy
Hi all,
Well, I have had the problem before I started all the manic replacement of parts(since I bought the car) The previous owner mentioned he had had brake pads and shoes replaced, thus I did the discs and drums. Maybe he was trying to fix the same problem? As far as I know the brake parts are OEM. The drum cost a nice 70 dollars a peice, vs 35 for a cheaper brand. I hosed the assembly down with brake-clean and it looks like all the springs and hardware has been replaced. You really think its a spring? I could look it over more closely to be absolutely sure.
Y'know what? I just drove it again....the sound MIGHT be coming from the front...??? I cant really tell.... could it be the bearings???

(Thanks for the replies! )
Wanton

Last edited by wantonsoupguy; 03-02-02 at 11:42 AM.

Visiting Guest

03-02-02, 11:56 AM   #5  
Joe_F
My guess is still a warped rotor. If you get noise when you brake, that is generally it.

Sometimes, worn tie rods would exhibit that as well. Not uncommon at this mileage.

Visiting Guest

03-02-02, 01:16 PM   #6  
wantonsoupguy
You know, its funny you say that. When I had the car initially inspected the garage said it was bad...than I had a Toyota dealership inspect the tierod end and they said it wasnt bad. When I raise the wheel in the air and rock it there is some noticable play....is that a tierod? I think I will bring it in to the dealership again because I have a possible flex pipe leak and the engine sounds rattly when it is cold(up to 2000 rpm, past that it dissappears, then comes back as rpm drops) until it warms up, then the noise is totally gone. I put a quart of ATF in the oil to clean up any possible gunk in the lifters, but the noise continues. So I guess i'll bring it in. I also have a lifetime warranty on the rotors, so I will swap them. Thanks so much for all your help, i'll let you know what was wrong when I find out.

Wanton

Visiting Guest

03-02-02, 03:53 PM   #7  
Joe_F
ATF does not belong in your oil .

If there is play in the wheel like that, a bad ball joint or a tie rod is to blame. Have it investigated at once....

Probably not a bad idea to swap the rotors. Sounds like the car needs some attention.

Visiting Guest

03-02-02, 08:48 PM   #8  
wantonsoupguy
I wondered if the atf idea was legit. I was told to use it because it has a higher amount of detergent in it and would clean gunk out an engine....oh, well. LOF time! I swapped the rotors tonight, but havent had time to test on the highway. On the regular road it seems fine, just need a real hard braking to get the noise to happen again. will get back 2u

wanton

Visiting Guest

03-03-02, 01:57 PM   #9  
wilm105
Several it seems

Hello;
The brake problem could be due to what and how you did them. It's hard to believe that more than one set of rotors could warp. Most of the time the glide pins are not removed and regreased (with a high temp brake grease) and that would mimic a warped rotor, contamination of the pads on assembly could do the same.
About that tick, I believe that 92 and up Toyota's have mechanical liftersand they are adjustible....look into it.....
Good Luck

Visiting Guest

03-06-02, 02:44 PM   #10  
wantonsoupguy
Ok, everyone....I think i've got something here....I had 4 people in my car today and I noticed as I was driving at highway speeds it sounded like a tire was SLIGHTLY choppy(even though they are all new). That was the noise I thought was in the brakes....got it so far? Well, when I hit the brakes on an off-ramp it just sounded way worse. But I heard a slight noise AS I DROVE WITHOUT HITTING THE BRAKES....so, my theory is its the front wheel-bearings are gone bad...when I nail the brakes it puts more pressure toward the front of the car...putting more weight on the bearings, thus more noise. Does it sound like this makes sense??? Appreciate any feedback

wanton

Visiting Guest

03-06-02, 03:00 PM   #11  
Joe_F
Swap your tires front to back. If the noise moves with the tire rotation, it's wheel and tire related.

If it occurs worse when braking, likely a braking issue.

03-06-02, 08:54 PM   #12  
This sounds too obvious but I would suggest it anyways. Did you use a torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts? If you did not use a torque wrench you may have overtorqued the nuts & warped the rotors. Good luck on the repairs. keep us posted.

OM

Visiting Guest

03-09-02, 01:30 PM   #13  
wantonsoupguy
Well, its definitely not the tires...they are all brand new...the noise happened previous to the new tires as well. The wheels have been hand torqued by myself to roughly 100 ft lbs(steel rims). The rotors were replaced twice, the drums once with no effect on the noise. I still think its a bearing problem, since now I can hear it slightly even when i'm not braking(when I brake it gets much louder---again my idea so far is when the weight of the car shifts to the front bearings they get noisy--and I think they are bad....i think...) I hate to go to a dealership, but they probably know toyotas better than an old Gm nut like myself.
I wonder if it could be calipers, but why then could I hear it without braking....

Wanton

Visiting Guest

03-09-02, 03:49 PM   #14  
Joe_F
Bad wheel bearings give a moaning and droning/humming sound when they typically go bad.

Have it checked out, surely a possibility.

Visiting Guest

03-16-02, 05:36 PM   #15  
wantonsoupguy
Well, the car is in the shop. The manager swears it is the rear rotors, which I just replaced with Autozone parts. It will cost about $300. He also said he would eat the bill for repairs if anything else was the problem... that makes me happy! So there you go! If anything else develops I will drop a line.....thanks everyone!

Wanton

Search this Thread