Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Starter on 1992 corvette

Visiting Guest

03-01-02, 09:25 PM   #1  
jungle4
Starter on 1992 corvette

Hi,
I have a 1992 chevy, corvette 350 lt1 that has went thru three starters in three weeks. Had to replace starter and neutral safety switch all three times. Can not figure out why starter is staying engaged in ring gear and burning up. Chevy dealer is at loss also. Very frustrating. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-01-02, 10:53 PM   #2  
Are you using quality starters? Most starters from places like autozone are junk...straight out of the box. I've replaced them over and over, did one this week matter of fact. As Joe will tell you, use Delco remanufactured starters. If you are, you may have a faulty ignition switch, or wiring problems. Make sure the solenoid trigger wire hasnt gotten pinched or melted to the pos cable at the starter.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

03-02-02, 05:51 PM   #3  
jungle4
thanks

Work is being done at dealership and they are using new starters from I assume delco or whatever they are going by these days. I'll have them check wiring from safety switch to starter. Gets about 35 starts before you hear the starter stay engaged to the ring gear. Problem is you can't tell if it's mechanical or electrical because it happens so fast when it goes. Thanks again for the reply.

Jungle4

Visiting Guest

03-02-02, 06:50 PM   #4  
frankie D Linds
Re: Starter on 1992 corvette

Originally posted by jungle4
Hi,
I have a 1992 chevy, corvette 350 lt1 that has went thru three starters in three weeks. Had to replace starter and neutral safety switch all three times. Can not figure out why starter is staying engaged in ring gear and burning up. Chevy dealer is at loss also. Very frustrating. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Hi
Do you have shims in the starter, if so starter may be cocked Sometimes poeple will put skims in wrong, allowing starter to hang upon fly wheel

Frankie D Lindsey

Visiting Guest

03-02-02, 08:24 PM   #5  
jungle4
shims

GM told them to shim it this last ime, but it sounded rougher starting after they did it. I'm wondering if they got the shims wrong. Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping to get some other ideas so I can pass it on to the mechanic. They have been very nice about it, but it is frustrating to everyone, especially me since I have been stranded out three times.
Thanks again

Visiting Guest

03-03-02, 05:52 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Make sure the cables are in good shape too. Funky things happen with bad cables.

Visiting Guest

03-03-02, 12:14 PM   #7  
jz brake
fly wheel

along with checking the wires, check the fly wheel for worn or chipped teeth. it is known that a bad fly wheel will grab and hold the starter bindex just long enough to damage the starter.

Visiting Guest

03-04-02, 06:42 PM   #8  
knuckles
Has anyone checked the battery? As battery voltage decreases, current draw increases. If the battery is weak, the contacts inside the starter solenoid can weld together (due to the very high current draw) and cause the starter to remain engaged.

Make sure the dealer performs a load test on the battery as well as a cranking current draw test. Ask them for a printout of the results & post them here.

Visiting Guest

03-12-02, 07:09 PM   #9  
jungle4
Vette still down

Thanks for everyones input. Gm had dealer put new flywheel on as they wouldn't cover another starter. This will be the fourth. New wiring harness from battery going on tomorrow. New neutral safety switch also on now. Old flywheel showed no damage or wear so they aren't sure what is going on. I have original service manuals so I will be asking questions about starter installation and shimming tomorrow. First couple of starters weren't shimmed and I'm not sure last one was shimmed correctly as it sounded terrible when engaged. Thanks again for all posts and I will post fix if and when it happens. Wouldn't perform starting test and crank test till new wiring was in place.

Thanks jungle4

Visiting Guest

11-04-02, 07:35 PM   #10  
jungle4
1992 teal blue convertible lt1 engine is now hopefully fixed. Fourth starter did not fix it, but after new flywheel and starter was installed they did a current draw test on starter and it was over 140 amps at engagement. Book said should be around 90 to 100.
Replaced starter cable from battery and found where the first dealer had spliced cable. Couldn't see it for the other wires. New cable brought current into range when cranking and it has lasted so far 100 cranks. It has been a long tiring summer as the dealership has had the car most of the time since is was under warranty. Thanks to all the that responded to my request. Hope this helps someone else.

Search this Thread