Major Engine Troubles

Old 03-01-02, 10:56 PM
sgurley351
Visiting Guest
Major Engine Troubles

have a 1989 Toyota 4x4 22RE engine. Recently started losing water from radiator. But no sign of water. Oil level has been constant but have a good idea water has mixed with the oil.

Either I have a blown head gasket or my timing chain has worn through its casing.

What kind of repairs will a mechanic have to perform to fix this?

Is this a major engine re-build?

Would it be smarter to buy a replacement engine from an outfit like ATK?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-02, 11:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
How many miles are on it? Does it have indications of any other engine trouble? If not, I personally would reccomend changing the head gasket, and having the head checked and machined, replace the chain and gears, and go. The head must be removed, which is not too hard. Some accessories and the fan and maybe radiator will have to be moved to change the chain. You can do this yourself if you have a little confidence and some tools and a repair manual.

Old 03-02-02, 04:50 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Cheese is right.

Mileage depending, a short block would be better, but if you just have timing cover and gasket woes, do as he recommends.

A Toyota reman short block (far superior to an ATK engine) probably exceeds the value of the truck...

Old 03-22-02, 11:00 PM
sgurley351
Visiting Guest
The problem has been fixed. A couple of years ago the same problem came up. It turned out to be a hole caused by the timing chain after the dampeners broke away.

Only the first time this happened the mechanic did not replace the timing chain cover. He used a repair material and proceeded to tell me I needed a new head gasket.

Well this time a new mechanic discovered the first repair had failed allowing water from the water pump to flow in with the timing chain.

Instead of repairing the hole he thought it would be best to replace the cover along with the chain.

The truck runs very strong and smooth.

Thank you for your advise it went along way.

Old 03-23-02, 08:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You're welcome, I'm glad it went well.