What Are The Symptoms of a Sluggish Water Pump?

Old 03-02-02, 07:50 AM
SteverZ
Visiting Guest
What Are The Symptoms of a Sluggish Water Pump?

What Are The Symptoms of a Sluggish Water Pump? I am driving a 1997 Pontiac Sunfire, 4 cylinder. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-02, 10:40 AM
Group Moderator
Let's work from the other direction; what symptoms is your car exhibiting?

Old 03-03-02, 08:48 AM
SteverZ
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

I did not want to work with it from this end since it will take alot of typing and time. I just wanted to know what are the effects of an aging water pump.

1. My car has 100,000 miles and is 5 years old.
2. It was running near hot.
3. I had the thermostat replaced. It stopped running near hot.
4. I had a radiator and cooling system flush. New Dex-cool.
5. The fan runs when car is at normal or above normal temperature.
6. If I sit in a traffic jam for only ten minutes, the temperature starts upward close to the hot mark. This condition started 14 months ago. I cured this on long distant runs from doing numbers 3 & 4 above.
7. When car is at normal temperature and running, the coolant tank is showing dex-cool at the "full cold" level. When the engine starts going towards hot and still running, the coolant tank level is still at "full cold".
8. I am NOT losing antifreeze or any other fluids. There are NO fluid leaks any place in the engine or under my car, and NO moisture coming from the exhaust pipe.
8. Since this running-very-warm-very-close-to-hot condition is NOT the thermostat, not old coolant, fan not running, good serpentine belt and no loss of any fluids, could it be an aging, sluggish, though still operating, water pump?

Thanks.

Old 03-03-02, 01:56 PM
Group Moderator
Possibility; could be the impeller has eroded causing a loss of flow rate. There are other possibilities as to the over heating, but for the most part it looks like you've already covered them. As for the coolant tank, if you're maintaining a steady level in the overflow tank that's a good sign that there's no loss during operation.

Surprised Joe hasn't posted on this; sure he's got something we're missing. Joe?

Old 03-03-02, 07:24 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Did you check your radiator cap?

Old 03-03-02, 07:46 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
100k on a water pump is pretty good.

Was the radiator flushed out? What kind of shape is it in?

Are your electric fans coming on? If they are not, the car will overheat.

Old 03-04-02, 04:53 AM
SteverZ
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Re;JOE - Water Pump

Joe,
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had a radiator/cooling system flush and new dex-cool added. I had a new thermotstat installed a few days prior. When my car is running abit above normal temperature, the engine fan is running. The radiator cap looks in good shape. I have plenty of heat coming into the cab of my car from the heater. There are no antifreeze leaks and no loss of coolant. The radiator hoses are in good shape and no leaks or cracking. Since my car only heats to warmer than average during traffic jams and sometimes during around town, quick runs, but runs at normal temperature out on the road, it still sounds like an aging water pump to me.

Old 03-04-02, 06:48 AM
jj78629
Visiting Guest
I had the same problem lately. I took the thermostat out and drove my truck. It still overheated. That told me the radiator was clogged. I had it rodded out. They get clogged up after awhile. Take it to a radiator shop or your local welding shop.
If it dosen't over heat with thermostat out, buy a thermostat from the dealer and not from an auto parts store, as they make them to cheap. Might try, like I did going to a lower degree thermostat, it did the trick on mine.
Also radiator might need cleaning out at the car wash. You have to take it out to do it. Dirt, seeds, and junk gets hung in the fins of the radiator and prevents air circulation. Hope this helps.

Old 03-04-02, 08:16 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ah, someone got my point .

I would start with having the radiator power flushed by a radiator shop. At the same time, pitch the cap for a new one. Only a couple of bucks.

I can tell you at 100k I would have changed the water pump by now anyway .

DexCool has a habit of making people stretch their coolant services. It's one reason I never used it. I change my coolant every year...I don't care what those guys say.

You could also have a bad gauge as well. Have the mechanic check the actual running temperature through the scan tool to be sure the gauge is accurate. Might have a bad gauge or a bum sender. It happens.