Carbon solvent

Old 03-02-02, 04:15 PM
TonyHi
Visiting Guest
Carbon solvent

I have a new toy, 77 Chero. 44000 miles on a 400cid engine. The problemo; Won't pass CA smog because EGR valve won't work. I think that the air passages related to the function of that valve are pluged with carbon. The ?easy? carbon removal system is needed. Regards, Tony... [email protected]

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-02, 04:28 PM
jz brake
Visiting Guest
egr

first apply vacuum to the valve with a hand held pump, if the valve doesn't move the valve needs replaced. as for carbon removal, i soak the part in transmission fluid over night and reach for a hammer and chisel and have patience not to damage the part.

Old 03-03-02, 06:17 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The California government wants this thing off the road in the worst way....I hear they are not kind to old vehicles out there, yet their smog is 10x anywhere else....go figure!

First step is as mentioned with the EGR valve.

A couple of things:

1) Full tuneup with all parts and filters. Without question. Who knows when it was done last.

2) How much did you fail by and what were the #s? Pass CO and miss HC?

3) Replacement EGR valves are sold by referencing the original ID # off the old one. Cheap for this old horse.

4) Go through and change all the rubber vacuum lines. Likely all rotted at this age by now.

Old 03-03-02, 06:47 AM
jz brake
Visiting Guest
egr

very good JOE , i was just showing him how to check the operation of the valve and that he might be able to reuse it.

Old 03-03-02, 02:59 PM
TonyHi
Visiting Guest
Carbon solvent

This "Chero" was owned by a CA CHP. I don't think he had a strong mechanical inclination. When I got it, two things got my attention. 1- It took 12 gal of gas to go 80 miles. 2- It had lurching brakes. The disks were warped, turning took care of that. Back to #1- When I raised the hood at night it looked like the 4th of July. Someone had punctured the sparkplug boots with a test probe. I rebuilt the carb and replaced the ignition componets. Voila *12.97 city mpg*. I have been told that is top end for the vehicle. WHAT SAY YOU TO THAT?
Emission test results:
2500rpm--measured HC 0002(pass) max allowable HC 0350
-----------measured CO% 0.00(pass) " " CO 3.50
Idle rpm--measured HC 0004(pass) max allowable HC 0300
-----------measured CO% 0.00(pass) " " CO 3.00
The specific problem is; The air passages in the intake manifold that use exaust gas to function the EGR are pluged with carbon. Therefore my question; What is the fun way to remove the carbon??? PS: My hood is longer than your hood! Tony...

Old 03-03-02, 03:50 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

I don't understand.

Each one of your points mentions "Pass". Every category. In fact, those are numbers for a new car with all those zeros . That or the machine was turned off.

I'm not sure I understand why they failed you. Visual inspection? Your vehicle shows it passed all of the requirements.

I doubt they get the Mityvac out and start testing each and every part. Most times, if the equipment required for that year is there and works (or seems to) and it runs through the check ok, you're in.

Again, why/how did they fail you? Seems like it passed!

Old 03-03-02, 06:01 PM
TonyHi
Visiting Guest
Carbon solvent

Under the heading;
"MANUAL FUNCTIONAL CHECK RESULTS":
1- FUEL FILLPIPE LEAD RESTRICTOR pass
2- EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION SYSTEM fail
3- IGNITION TIMING pass
4- FUEL CAP LEAK CHECK fail

#1- Leaded pump gas is not available in CA. #1 is still required!
#2- The EGR was said to be defective, price quoted $108.00+lab+tx. I get rid of the carbon it will pass.
#3- Timing was right.
#4- The original cap "FAILED". CA now requires a special fuel cap, price quoted $18.95+tx.

The Smog report document might be of interest to you, send me a mail drop address for a copy. [email protected]

Old 03-03-02, 07:54 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I assume that they check each component then. Geez. Lol.

Ask for the test results and how they "test" it. Lol. As someone mentioned, pump it up with a Mityvac hand held vacuum pump and see if it will change or move the diaphragm. If it does, it works .

As for a "special cap", so long as you use a cap that is cataloged by Stant, GM or whoever's brand you buy, it should be "certified".

The 1980 project Trans Am I have that someone gave me DOES have the filler pipe reamed out. Not sure if someone ran some other fuel in there at one time. Haven't been able to get leaded fuel in the US since 1986 or so!

Who is telling you it is carboned up? The valve is likely old and worn at this point.