Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

timing chain

Visiting Guest

03-04-02, 09:15 AM   #1  
BrAhern
timing chain

I have a 1994 Saturn SL2 with about 89,000 miles on it. Saturn says thier cars make it to almost 200,000 miles. I believe their claim since this car is 8 years old and runs better than some newer cars. However, I have heard that the timing chain on these cars have been known to break in the 90,000 mile range. This is expensive to replace. Not sure if it would be worth it. My question is what should I do? Should I jump the gun and have it replaced now before it breaks and causes damage? Im planning on keeping this car for about 4-5 more years if possible...to get me through college. Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-04-02, 02:16 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Yes, change it.

The original design lacks an oil lubrication hole and the chain fatigues and gets dry. Saturn has upgraded the parts a few times to improve the problem.

You also should be VERY regular on oil changes with Saturns as well. My mother has a 1993 SL2 and I'm on top of everything with it .

I say change it now and you should be very trouble free for the rest of your ownership. Change the water pump while you are in there.

Visiting Guest

03-04-02, 06:41 PM   #3  
BrAhern
OK Thanks ill do that. Yes it has every oil change its supposed to. The car is in mint condition. The last owner was my brother so I know it was taken care of. How much does it cost around to have it done? Ill probably have to deal with my local dealership. Thanks again.

Visiting Guest

03-04-02, 07:18 PM   #4  
Joe_F
I know Saturn sells a timing cover kit which has all the goodies. I think it's about 150 bucks or so.

I would say this is a 700 dollar repair all in all.

Search this Thread