brakes

Old 03-04-02, 05:24 PM
rednecks37307
Visiting Guest
brakes

I put a new master cyclingder on the front brakes.
rear wheel cyclenders have problems bleeding.
the brakes, can not get the air out what is my next step

thank you
rednecks37307

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-02, 06:29 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Question

1. Please post year/make/model.

2. Please use punctuation and capital letters where appropriate.

3. You said you put a new "master cylinder" on the front brakes. The master cylinder sends hydraulic pressure to each wheel. There's only 1 per car, not one for the front & one for the rear. Did you actually replace the master cylinder, or did you replace a front brake caliper?

Old 03-04-02, 07:34 PM
rednecks37307
Visiting Guest
brakes

I replaced the brakes.The master cyclenders, The rear wheel
cyclenders, And i can not get the air out of the brake lines.

ITS a 1982 pontiac bonneville

Old 03-04-02, 07:47 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Did you bench bleed the new master cylinder before you installed it?

If not, remove the brake line from the master cyl. and "bench bleed" it on the car. Most new & reman. master cylinders come with a set of plugs or a set of fittings & tubing designed for this purpose. In either case, the master cylinder is stroked until no bubbles are present in the fluid.

After you've bled the master cylinder, start bleeding the RR wheel cylinder. Open the bleeder, depress the brake pedal once & walk away for a few minutes. Fluid should begin dripping from the bleeder screw. If no fluid drips after 1/2 hour, check your combination valve. You may need to depress a small button on the combo valve to allow fluid to flow to the rear brakes. A $14 Haynes manual will tell/show you exactly what this valve is and where it is located.

If you can get fluid out of the RR wheel, allow it to drip until the master cyl. reservoir is about 1/4 full. Close the bleeder, refill the reservoir & move on to the LR bleeder screw. Open the bleeder and repeat the procedure. Then move on to the RF bleeder & finally the LF bleeder.

The above procedure is known as gravity bleeding. It works on *most* cars, including your Bonneville. It only requires one person and it's nearly foolproof, but it is messy and it takes a LONG time. There are many other methods such as pressure bleeding, vacuum bleeding, manual bleeding and Reverse Fluid Injection. All work well, but require either special equipment or 2 people.

Old 03-04-02, 08:01 PM
rednecks37307
Visiting Guest
thank you

Now can you tell me how to bench bleed,
Do i take it off the car or leave it on.

Old 03-04-02, 08:05 PM
rednecks37307
Visiting Guest
my brakes again

Does my car need to be running, When i am bleeding the brakes.

Old 03-04-02, 08:07 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Cool

You can leave the master cylinder on the car to "bench bleed". The engine does not need to be running when bleeding brakes.

Simply disconnect the brake lines from the master cylinder and install the plugs or fitting/tubing assemblies in their place. Have a helper pump the brake pedal while you watch the reservoir for bubbles.

WEAR SAFETY GLASSES! A good GM master cyl. will shoot brake fluid out of the ports in the master cylinder reservoir several inches...you don't want it in your eyes!

Once the bubbles are gone, remove the plugs or fitting/tubing assemblies from the master cyl. and install the brake lines loosely. Have your helper depress the brake pedal while you watch for fluid around the brake line fittings. When you see clear fluid (no bubbles), tighten the fittings.

Good luck!

Old 03-04-02, 08:12 PM
rednecks37307
Visiting Guest
Thanks

THANKS for all your help iam glad i found this site.
MANY THANKS

Old 03-04-02, 08:16 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Talking

You're welcome! Please let us know how it turns out.

Old 03-05-02, 10:44 AM
rednecks37307
Visiting Guest
did not work

HI i did all the bleedind again.But when i start the car the brake
paddle goes all the way to the floor and i have to pump them to stop. Now what do i do.
THANKS.

Old 03-05-02, 11:10 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Could have gotten a bad master cylinder or defective parts. See any leaks? Does the fluid level go down?

Old 03-05-02, 11:35 AM
rednecks37307
Visiting Guest
brakes

82 pontiacbonn
evill

the master cilend shoot flund out of it win bleeding it

wen the car is off the brakes pump up wen the car starrs it gose
to the flooer
thanks for the help

redneck30307

Old 03-05-02, 11:40 AM
One Master Cylinder

may have missed something in your post, but you keep refering to the master cylinders. Do yoy mean the Front wheel Calipers? Or the one Master Cylinder mounted to your firewall. This has happened to me more than once, If I replace all 4 wheel cylinders/Calipers and not the Master Cylinder it almost everytime puts so much strain on the Master cylinder, that it goes out right away or very soon thereafter. Because what you have sounds like your master cylinder is leaking back into its self. If I missed something I'm sorry, the only way I know that after replacing 4 wheel cylinders and not being able to bleed the system after bench bleeding the Master Cylinder is an internal leak, and that can happen with any Master Cylinder, new or rebuilt. Marturo
Is that you SUPERTECH ? Because if it is these good folks here work very hard to help people with very real life and death problems. GMD CTBS Marturo!

Old 03-05-02, 11:51 AM
rednecks37307
Visiting Guest
thanks

i will try anoghter master cyclinder i replace all wheelcyclider

bilead the master cyclinder on the car
and all wheelcycilnder
so that mean to i got a bad master cyclinder???

thanks
redneck37307

Old 03-05-02, 01:15 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Could be. Might have gotten a bad master cylinder. It happens.

Replace it and go from there.