scraping gaskets

Old 03-03-02, 09:17 PM
mthor56
Visiting Guest
scraping gaskets

I've been doing my own auto repair work for over 20 years, and I've always hated scraping off old, baked on gaskets. Anyone got any tips on how to make this chore easier?

Old 03-04-02, 08:45 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Use good quality gaskets in the first place which come off easier than cheap ones .

Sometimes, there's nothing worse than doing that, I agree. I sometimes use the die grinder on the air compressor to remove old gaskets. There are chemical solvents that help remove them.

Somtimes, nothing works better than a good single edged razor blade and a little fine sandpaper.

I also use a little WD40 to keep the piece moist and soften the old gasket material.

Depends on the situation at hand really. I try to use FelPro gaskets as they are well made and require minimum use of sealer which is always messy on the next go around

Old 03-04-02, 10:03 AM
xiii13
Visiting Guest
I agree with Joe. I use wd-40 and an x-acto knife (very sharp) to remove all my baked on gaskets. Works real well. The trick is to make sure the blade is sharp.

Old 03-04-02, 07:55 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Or you can use wood chisel to remove old gaskets they work very good.

OM

Old 03-05-02, 05:42 PM
mthor56
Visiting Guest
Thanks to all. I will try your suggestions next time I need to tackle this really nasty chore.

Old 03-05-02, 08:15 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sure.

Another idea is a small parts washer. They work well and clean up most parts like a champ. I have one in the laboratory at work. Works great .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: