Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Help - Need Advice on Purchasing Quality Windshield Wiper Blades

Visiting Guest

03-06-02, 09:25 AM   #1  
Kathy D
Help - Need Advice on Purchasing Quality Windshield Wiper Blades

The windshield wiper blades that we purchase leave streaks or they just don't clear the rain from the windshield. Can anyone recommend any blades that work? I am in Richmond, VA area. This is for Ford Explorer.

Thank you.

Kathy D.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-06-02, 09:53 AM   #2  
Joe_F
I like to use either Anco, Pylon or Trico.

Trico's Exact Fit line is very good and works well.

The key is to keep your windshield and wipers clean. You need to wipe sap and dirt from them. Use some Windex on a rag and wipe the rubber blade every so often and when you wash the car.

Visiting Guest

03-06-02, 10:58 AM   #3  
xiii13
If you put new blades on and they are still not doing the job, then you have to look into the arm assembly. Sometimes the springs that press the arms to the windshield get weak with age. You didn't say what year the Explorer was. If the springs in the arms are not putting enough pressure on the blades you will get streaking. It doesn't happen very often, but I have seen this on occasion.

Good Luck.

03-06-02, 12:29 PM   #4  
If the streaks are because the blades are dirty, you hvae to wipe them down. I read somewhere (maybe this site) that rubbing an apple slice over the rubber after you wipe it down will keep it from streaking. Not sure if this works, but its worth a try. You may also want to try Rain-X in addition to good wipers. I was skeptical at first, but in a heavy rain it actually does work. Makes a world of difference. The only downside is that you have to re-apply every 3 months or so.

03-06-02, 02:18 PM   #5  
Wiper blades

Yes I believe I can. Wiper blades used to be made much thicker, and so they would last longer. I have been using a blade on my cars & trucks for the past few years, called Anco Winter blades. The blade is not relaceable but we have been getting 1 &1/2 to 2 years of good streak free performance from these thick blade rubber encased working parts wipers. Only problem is, if you live south of VA you will have to order them through your Local independant parts dealer. I just got sick and tired of replacing Bosch and all the other thin blade wipers every 6 mos. Good luck, Marturo

Visiting Guest

03-07-02, 04:40 AM   #6  
Kathy D
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Search this Thread