Are replacement engines a plus or negative

Old 03-06-02, 04:21 PM
JBA
Visiting Guest
Question Are replacement engines a plus or negative

Seriously thinking of purchasing a 1995 Rialta which is specially designed to transport a wheelchair. Approx 2 yrs ago @ 100,000 miles, the unit had a new transmission put in and a short time later, a new engine (Volkswagon) - both installed by a garage specializing in Volkswagon work . The owners drove the unit for another 5000 miles or and then traded for a brand new Rialta. I can't afford to make an error in judgement and whatever vehicle I purchase must be mechanically sound due to the wheelchair factor. I'm nervous about the replacement engine and transmission factors - do replacements of these major parts run as well as a "new off the lot vehicle"? What about the other vehicle components that are still "original" on the unit and have 100,000 plus miles on them? I'm told that the majority of the miles were accumulated from highway driving. Is there anything I should listen for or look for when test driving it? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-02, 04:53 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
A rebuilt engine can be every bit as reliable if not more reliable than the engine it replaces, due to upgraded parts and procedures.

You might ask the selling outfit if they offer a warranty on this unit and why the engine was replaced in the first place. If it's due to abuse, it's likely the vehicle is not in good shape and other things will go wrong with it.

You might consider investing in some sort of road tow/emergency service or a cellphone for safety on the road. That would go for any vehicle, no matter how reliable it might be.