Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

windshield wiper standing mystery

Visiting Guest

03-06-02, 08:02 PM   #1  
ange
windshield wiper standing mystery

hey. i have a 97 cavalier. the windshield wipers work fine, except when i turn them off, they rest in an upright position still on the window. ive replaced the circuit board on the ww motor assembly (twice). can it be the motor? or is it possible that it has something to do with the handle inside the car? my mechanic hasnt even figured it out yet. thanks if you can help

Sponsored Links

03-06-02, 08:11 PM   #2  
not much help

Don't know the answer to that one but on my 89 Cavalier the wipers will come on for a swipe or two out of the blue. Maybe it's a Cavalier thing?

Will check with my mechanic and see if he has an ideas of what your problem may be. I haven't had him look at mine since it's just an occassional thing. Maybe it's warning me that it's going to rain...

Kay

03-06-02, 08:24 PM   #3  
service bulletin

here is a service bulletin for the 97 cavalier that i found. it doesn't explain your problem, but am wondering what else they did wrong with the wiper system.

Number: NHTSA96V16000
Date: 08/29/96
VIsual Systems: Windsheild Wiper and Washer
These vehicles were built with an incorrect wiper blade assembly (17" long instead of 22" long) on the driver's side. This does not comply with FMVSS No.104, "Windshield Wiping and Washing Systems." The area and pattern wiped on the windshield will be reduced and could affect the driver's view in wet weather increasing the risk of a vehicle accident. Dealers will inspect for the correct wiper blade assembly and install a correct length wiper blade assembly.

Owner Notification: Owner notification began August 1996.

NOTE: Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Chevrolet at 1-800-222-1020. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-800-424-9393.

1997 CHEVROLET CAVALIER

Visiting Guest

03-12-02, 09:39 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Sometimes there is a separate park switch built in or separate which will cause the wipers to park, or come to rest. Might be faulty there, or else the fault lies in the wiper switch in the column.

03-12-02, 12:45 PM   #5  
I have a similiar problem with my new Blazer. I'll turn off the wipers and instead of going all the way back down, they'll stop about 3-5 inches shy of their normal resting spot. I find it only happens if I turn off the wipers while I'm driving at a decent speed (40mph +). It might have something to do with that "speed sensitive" crap they put on every car but nobody really knows what it does.

Visiting Guest

03-12-02, 01:15 PM   #6  
ange
hmmm

ok , where would that park switch be? i figured it would be built into the circuit board, which i already replaced.

Visiting Guest

03-13-02, 05:45 AM   #7  
Joe_F
If you changed the delay board, look to a bad switch in the steering column.

This vehicle has an airbag, and you should defer to professional repair if column work is needed.

Search this Thread