camry 95 won't start

Old 03-07-02, 07:23 AM
williamw
Visiting Guest
camry 95 won't start

Dear All,

My 95 Toyata Camry LE (v6 automatic transmission) drove fine in the morning yesterday, but when I tried to start it while leaving work, it can not be started. Here are the symptoms:

1) When I turn the key to "ACC", all the lights, radios, window brush are working ok

2) When I turn the key to "ON", checking lights for engine, fuel, battery etc are on

3) When I turn to "Start", there is only one CLICK sound, all the lights become dimmer, BUT the engine is not cranking at all. It seems to me that the engine and the starter is not turning at all.

Friends and I tried to jump start the car, but failed. Is it something wrong with the engine or the starter? Where should I start to pinpoint and fix the problem?

Your advices are much appreciated. Thanks,

Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-02, 07:48 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Dead battery or bad starter.

Sounds like a dead battery.

Old 03-07-02, 07:57 AM
williamw
Visiting Guest
Hi, Joe,

Thanks for your reply. If it's the dead battery, should we still be able to jump start it? or should the engine be cranking at least? Even AAA came over late last night, and could not jump start it.

Thanks,

Bill

Old 03-07-02, 09:45 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If AAA couldn't get it started it's likely a bad battery.

Put a digital meter on the battery and see if you have 12.5 volts.

If you do, battery is fine. Rap on the starter's body with a hammer (don't hit the electrical portion). If the car now starts, the starter is bad.