Grand Am does not start

Old 03-07-02, 07:51 AM
jazziedeb
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Grand Am does not start

My 98 Grand Am (4 cyl.) will not start, I went to bible store, car was fine. Would not start when I tried to leave. Got a jump, car started. It started 2 more times, then nothing. Now it wont boost all it does is click. radio and lights work. Is this some thing I can fix myself.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-02, 09:46 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Dead battery or discharging alternator.

Check the posts in my signature file below for some repair ideas. Barring that, time to get a repair manual from the parts store or library if you are going to fix it yourself.

Old 03-07-02, 11:24 AM
jazziedeb
Visiting Guest
Green light is on in the battery, doesnt this mean the battery is okay? could it be starter?

Old 03-07-02, 12:06 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The green cell means nothing. That particular cell is ok. Others could be dead.

If you had to get a jump to start it, likely a charging system problem.

Old 03-07-02, 03:42 PM
jazziedeb
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Help!!

Okay,
I was trying to jump the battery, we had to push the car, now we can not change gears on the car, gears are locked, battery is totally dead, what have I done??????????

Old 03-07-02, 03:52 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It is likely the battery power controls the neutral safety switch or linkage somehow and there's not enough power for it to release the thing out of gear.

If jumping it doesn't help, then it might be worthwhile to have it towed to a shop or home where you can look at it in more depth.

Old 03-08-02, 09:06 AM
jazziedeb
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Grand Am wont start

Joe,
wanted to say thank you very much, you were 100% right, it was the battery. I jumped it this morning and took it to the dealer, they checked it out and determined that the battery was not holding a charge. Unfortunately it cost me 160.00, I probably could have saved myself 80.00 if I had done it myself, but I figured they had it already so I let them do it.
Thank You
Jazziedeb

Old 03-08-02, 09:15 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No problem.

Probably could have had an independent garage do the tow and the battery install and it would have been a bit cheaper.

160 is not bad for everything if that included a tow, the labor and battery.

Old 03-08-02, 09:28 AM
jazziedeb
Visiting Guest
No tow, I got a boost and started it, drove it to the dealer