No spark on a Dodge

Old 03-08-02, 05:34 AM
Stubborn1
Visiting Guest
Angry No spark on a Dodge

I have a 1974 Dodge Dart with a 318. I'm randomly not getting spark.(Whenever it feels like it.) I've changed out the coil, and gone through countless ballast resistors. Even tried changing out the ignition module. I also double checked the body and engine grounds to make sure they were tight and good. I'm about ready to give up on Mopars. Anybody got any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-02, 05:40 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Could have a faulty pickup in the distributor as well.

What does your service manual say?

Old 03-08-02, 07:04 AM
Stubborn1
Visiting Guest
Rather than dig through all my piles for the service manual, I tried your advice. Don't know why I didn't think of it - I had a similar problem with a Ford, and it was the pick-up module. I put a whole different distributor in, ( I have a spare non-running engine in my backyard), and it's sparking like crazy now. Thanks a lot, Joe, you're a lifeasver!

Old 03-08-02, 07:12 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

You're welcome. Glad to hear you got the old typewriter running again.

These are old horses and run well. Crude and rough, but durable.

The 318 and the slant six are probably some of the best powertrains out there. The carburetion and the rest of what's hooked up to it is lackluster though .

Anyhow glad you got it running. A new pick up is a couple of bucks from any auto parts store and should be in stock. Common part.