Lifters....

Old 03-07-02, 01:34 PM
JG
Visiting Guest
Lifters....

1993 Ford T-bird 3.8 AOD

Hi
My engine developed a noisey lifter so i pulled them out to take a look at them. They were filled with gunk, but they showed no wear with the micrometer. So after cleaning them i put them back in. I also found some exciting bearing materal in the top of the engine. So i primed the oil pump and started it up. I have a trickle of oil comming out of the top of the rocker arms. Now i have even louder lifters. I checked the preasure it reads 56psi at idle. Which is high it should be 40-60 at 2500 and warm. So any idead on why i'm not getting oil out of the top of the arms?

Thanks

Old 03-07-02, 03:58 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
How are the oil galleries?

If you found sludge up top, it's likely clogging the ports to get there

Old 03-07-02, 04:38 PM
JG
Visiting Guest
wow that makes since. Any sugjustions to how i can clean out the oil gallaries without taking apart the engine?

Old 03-08-02, 05:47 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Try using some solvents to dissolve the sludge. Use a shop vac to keep them clean.

Bear in mind, the proper way is to diassemble it all and clean it. You might push the junk down further by cleaning it half way like this

Sludge is a sign of poor maintenance and lack of oil change frequency or really poor quality oil.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: