Looking for TheKeyMaker

Old 03-08-02, 06:57 AM
xiii13
Visiting Guest
Looking for TheKeyMaker

Got a lock question for you.

'90 GMC Safari rear Door Lock.

Went to unlock the rear door with my key yesterday. Totally frozen up. Tore down rear door and removed lock mechanism. It was rusted and useless. Went to the local locksmith to get a replacement. $200 for lock & to key it to my key. Thought that was awful high. Then he told me he would only sell me the lock if he installed it on the vehicle for an additional $75.00. Told him I was more than capable of installing it myself. Then he said "Sorry I can't sell you the lock without installing it"

Called a second locksmith and he basically told me the same thing only his lock price was $150. Is this price high? I thought it would be around $30 to $40. What's up with they have to install it?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-02, 07:16 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Try to find a Strattec/Briggs and Stratton distributor. They make GM's locks. See what they say.

You could also try a GM dealer who has an uncoded lock more than likely. For a fee they will probably have it coded up to your key, or another locksmith can do it. Perhaps if the dealer asks the locksmith to do it, they will (as the dealer probably is a regular customer of the locksmith).

Depends on the locksmith. They want to make the part and the labor money....

My locksmith is great. You just tell them what you want and they do it. Reasonable too. I have brought him glovebox doors and the like and tell him "Make it up to this key". 15 bucks later, it's installed in the door and ready to go .

Keep calling around.

Old 03-08-02, 07:20 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
This should be a GM #12398652, cylinder kit. About 18 bucks list.

Good for all 85 to 95 Astro and Safari models.

GM's parts information says it is uncoded. See what a dealer tells you about what I said in the previous post if you offer to buy the lock from them.

Good luck and let us know.

Old 03-27-02, 08:10 AM
xiii13
Visiting Guest
Thanks Joe. Ordered lock almost three weeks ago with the part number you gave me. Just picked it up from dealer and took it to a new locksmith who keyed it for me. Total cost $28.00 A far cry from $200

Old 03-27-02, 09:46 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good deal. Glad to hear I helped.

Bravo & good job. Score one for the forum