Cavalier Not Starting

Old 03-08-02, 05:26 PM
bozaktwo
Visiting Guest
Angry Cavalier Not Starting

Help!!! 1988 Chev Cavalier (2.0 OHV) will NOT start. Battery is good, will not turn over. The problem started as a progressively slower turning, then got to the point where it wouldn't even do that. What's up???

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-02, 05:46 PM
Lightbulb

Do you hear any clicking sound or just nothing at all? I would suggest to wiggle the wire going to the solenoid, then try to start it. If it still wont start get a good multimeter insert the probe into the wire then ask someone to start the engine to see if you are getting any voltage. If you have voltage you found your problem. You may have a bad solenoid or a bad starter motor. Good luck on the repairs. Keep me posted.

OM

Old 03-08-02, 07:03 PM
bozaktwo
Visiting Guest
No click now, although as I said the problem manifested itself progressively. Each time I started it it got slower, until there's nothing happening at all. Thanks for the tip, will try it in the morning...dark out now.

Old 03-09-02, 08:14 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Start with a good charged battery with sound connections. Sounds like a dead or discharged battery.

If that checks out, whack the starter with a hammer and see if now cranks. If it does, bad connection or bad starter.

Old 03-09-02, 08:18 AM
Lightbulb

I would also suggest to check the cable going to the battery & starter motor. Good luck on the repairs. Keep me posted.

OM

Old 03-09-02, 08:57 AM
bozaktwo
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

Whack it with a hammer? I think I would sooner remove the starter and test it on the bench, thank you very much.

Old 03-09-02, 12:03 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Yup, I've even read it in trade magazines such as Underhood Service for one. Just read this the other day. And the guy is an ASE certified tech . The article was about using common sense and logic in diagnosing problems.

It's a sure fire way to test for a jammed drive and a stuck solenoid plunger.

If it works after you do that, you have a wiped out starter, ASSUMING you've checked for bad connections.

Ask any mechanic, they've surely done it their career.

Ever get stuck on the road? Tapping with a hammer is the difference between a 75 dollar tow and driving it home . I have saved customers a lot of tow dollars this way until they could bring it in to be fixed correctly

Old 03-09-02, 02:45 PM
bozaktwo
Visiting Guest
Well, I whacked it, and it didn't work. I took it off and ran a quick check with the good ol' multimeter and it's well and truly dead. Zero continuity. Thanks for the tip, gentlemen, have a nice day.

Old 03-09-02, 02:55 PM
Talking

Thanks for posting back we appreciate your reply as to how it turned out. If you have anymore question feel free to post again.

OM

Old 03-09-02, 03:44 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Replace it with a Delco remaned starter and you should be good to go.

Never been one I couldn't bring back to life with a tap . Must have been shorted or really wiped.