Stuck Transfer case

Old 03-09-02, 04:13 PM
dougt
Visiting Guest
Stuck Transfer case

1991 Jeep Cherokee auto 4 WD The transfer case won't allow me out of 4WD when I shift to 2 WD. I've changed the autotranny fluid in the transfer case, fixed it but when I ran through the 2WD to 4WD to 2WD, it wouldn't come out of 4 WD low again. I'm suspecting a problem with a vacuum line???? No damage, was just in snow when it began. Ideas?? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-02, 07:45 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yup either a vacuum problem or an electrical problem, depending on what switches the case.

Get a diagnostic manual for the truck (see some links below) and go from there to find the fault.

Old 03-10-02, 09:25 AM
dougt
Visiting Guest
Joe, would the auto tranny have any effect on the performance of the transfer case? Do they "share" a vacuum line or something? The auto tranny has been a little grumpy over the past six months and now that I think about it getting the transfer case out of 4WD has been finiky also for a little longer than 6 months, never really thought about it though. Thanks

Old 03-11-02, 08:55 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
They may, but we are guessing how the system works .

Go to the links in my signature file and see if there is anything there. Barring that, get a service manual and read through the diagnostics of the 4WD system. Likely a bad vacuum or electrical switch.