Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

check engine light on Suburu Legacy

Visiting Guest

03-09-02, 05:34 PM   #1  
blackaley
check engine light on Suburu Legacy

Upon starting my vehicle after setting for a while, the check engine light is off. If I travel somewhere and shut the engine down for five minutes or so, then restart, the check engine light comes on and stays on until the vehicle is again shut down for an extended period of time. What should I look for as originating this fault? The engine shows no sign of any missing or power loss during the period that the check engine light is on. The car is a 1990 Suburu Legacy with a 2.2l engine. If needed it has an automatic transmission and has 272,000 miles on it.

Last edited by blackaley; 03-09-02 at 06:53 PM.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-09-02, 07:44 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Check the links in my signature file for how to pull the codes and tell us what you find.

Visiting Guest

03-11-02, 04:04 PM   #3  
blackaley
suburu check engine light

I checked out the codes and the error code was with the canister purge solenoid or circuit. I believe the circuit to be OK and the solenoid to be bad. Is there any way to salvage the solenoid or does it have to be replaced?

Visiting Guest

03-11-02, 07:52 PM   #4  
Joe_F
What year Subaru? On OBDII (typically 96 and newer) a loose or bad gas cap will illuminate the MIL lamp.

Check for a loose or bad cap first!

That being said, only the Subaru service manual would have a way to check the solenoid. I don't think many other books cover it but that.

Visiting Guest

03-11-02, 07:53 PM   #5  
Joe_F
Lol. I should learn to read. The information is up there .

Search this Thread