Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

88 lemans crank seal

Visiting Guest

03-10-02, 08:44 AM   #1  
david f
88 lemans crank seal

I am attempting to change the forward crank seal on my 88 lemans. I have removed the alternator belt, the lower altenator pulley and the timing belt. I am attempting to remove the lower timing pulley without success. There is a significant oil leak from this area. I have bought a seal kit and am ready to go. My last thing to do is get this pulley off. There is a bolt just forward of the pulley which I have removed and a spring came out but that hassn't helped release the timing pulley. Is there a trick that I am missing?

HELP.... thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-10-02, 09:12 AM   #2  
Joe_F
You might need a puller to remove the pulley as it presses itself onto the shaft and can get stuck on there.

What does your service manual say?

Visiting Guest

03-10-02, 09:32 AM   #3  
david f
I didn't realise that there was a specific tool. I was just trying to pry it but it wasn't budging and I was afraid of nicking the pulley. I am guessing that an automotive supply store sells pullers? I shall make some calls. Thanks

Visiting Guest

03-10-02, 10:24 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Might or might not.

Check the links in my signature file for some ideas or hi the parts store/library for a repair manual.

Search this Thread