Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ford Pickup Truck. Clutch Switch

Visiting Guest

03-10-02, 12:45 PM   #1  
TomBranson
Ford Pickup Truck. Clutch Switch

How do I contact a wire around the clutch switch to see if its working? What kind of materials do I need?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

03-10-02, 12:55 PM   #2  
If we're talking about the safety switch, locate the switch, pull the connector off and jumper with a small piece of wire between the two terminals in the plug. Should be able to crank engine. Best way to check the actual switch would be with a continuity tester (ohmeter). With harness plug disconnected as above put meter leads on the 2 switch terminals. With clutch engaged (pedal "up") you should read no continuity across terminals (open circuit). When you depress clutch and switch closes you should get continuity across terminals (closed circuit).

Hope this helps.

Visiting Guest

03-11-02, 08:49 AM   #3  
Joe_F
I agree..but...

making also sure that the vehicle is in neutral or it will lurch forward!

Other than that, TowGuy gave you some solid advice.

Group Moderator

FL

03-11-02, 06:39 PM   #4  
Right, Joe. Personally I've never needed that safety switch because when I learned to drive a stick back in the stone ages the first thing I learned was that the very first step in starting was to push clutch pedal to floorboard.

Search this Thread