Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

73 comet

Visiting Guest

03-11-02, 01:13 PM   #1  
skin88hit
73 comet

anybody with tips on adding more power without breaking the bank?ive got a 73 comet,302 4bbl,9" and I hate holleys.pure ford power!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-11-02, 01:21 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Newsflash: Most Ford carburetor designs are loosely based on Holley anyhow . I too don't like Holleys. Rochester is far superior in every way for a street car than any Holley or aftermarket carb. when done right .

As for how to make more power:

Better intake
Better exhaust
Better carburetion
Better gearing.
Lighter weight.

Unfortunately all of them cost money, so you have to determine which you want to do first as money allows and if this project is worth it. Sure you can get 300 hp out of a 302 if you were inclined to, but is a 1973 Comet worth it? Might be to you, but to most, no. If you're into the car for the long haul or really like it, go for it. If you're going to try to make a few bucks on it, forget it. Pitch it now for something worth more.

Most of these can bring up power. The 302 should move nicely in that old shoe, it's a pretty light (and horrendous handling ) platform.

Visiting Guest

03-17-02, 09:22 PM   #3  
cosmicfreak
horse power

I once had a 250 in-line six and someone suggested putting a very fine brass screen under the carb., well I think it added a little horse and for a cheap price. However check the screen often, and replace as needed. It helps disperse the gasoline stream and adds a more even chamber gas air mixture.

Search this Thread