PLEASE help me change my oil!!!

Old 03-12-02, 09:45 AM
jcollum
Visiting Guest
Exclamation PLEASE help me change my oil!!!

I need help! I bought a used '99 Chevy Cavalier with 33k on it back in October. My mechanic did my first LOF and then recently I needed another one which I opted to do myself with the help of a friend. He went to the store to buy an oil filter but didn't know my engine size so didn't buy one. Can I wait till my next oil change to change the filter? We were also going to skip lubing the chassis - Is it okay to only lube about every third oil change? PLEASE give me some advice!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-02, 09:49 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The oil and filter should be changed each time together. It would be like washing in the shower without soap .

Not many vehicles have serviceable grease fittings for the tie rods and ball joints anymore. The "lube" portion is for the hinges and such, depending on the model.

As for the oil filter, he doesn't have to know the "size". Just what engine size is in the vehicle, the year and model. The parts store's catalog and counterman can handle the rest. . Even if he/she brought the registration or the vehicle to the store, the engine size can be determined from that. This is either a 2.2 or a 2.4 engine in this year Cavalier.

You could wait it out till the next oil change, but I would just change it again now. Cheap enough.